Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head-Jerking Acceleration (not consistent)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The great thing about EVs is the consistent launch times. In the spirit of fun, I've been mashing the accelerator all the way down with the expectation of instant torque blasting my head backwards. The chances of it working appears to be 50/50. Am I getting used to acceleration or is it likely due to the road not being straight (e.g. slight uphill)? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I tried experimenting going from brake hold to 60 and then rolling stop to 60 but it didn't appear to make a difference.

The great thing about EVs is the consistent launch times. In the spirit of fun, I've been mashing the accelerator all the way down with the expectation of instant torque blasting my head backwards. The chances of it working appears to be 50/50. Am I getting used to acceleration or is it likely due to the road not being straight (e.g. slight uphill)? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I tried experimenting going from brake hold to 60 and then rolling stop to 60 but it didn't appear to make a difference.

My guess is the traction control - the TC could be kicking in more on some hard accelerations than others. It has more to do with the amount of traction on the road rather than the slope.

My S85, just plain Jane, no P, D, or +, is pretty much the same. If I have a new Tesla passenger and talk about the instant torque, then it takes off mellow. If I say nothing, then sometimes, it just takes off, surprising even me. I liken it to "tip in" on an ice car. Sometimes a quick short jab gets more of a punch than pedal to the metal.

Confusing.