TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Head-Jerking Acceleration (not consistent)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Marsnaut, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

The great thing about EVs is the consistent launch times. In the spirit of fun, I've been mashing the accelerator all the way down with the expectation of instant torque blasting my head backwards. The chances of it working appears to be 50/50. Am I getting used to acceleration or is it likely due to the road not being straight (e.g. slight uphill)? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I tried experimenting going from brake hold to 60 and then rolling stop to 60 but it didn't appear to make a difference.

2. TT97

TT97 Member

My guess is the traction control - the TC could be kicking in more on some hard accelerations than others. It has more to do with the amount of traction on the road rather than the slope.

3. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

My S85, just plain Jane, no P, D, or +, is pretty much the same. If I have a new Tesla passenger and talk about the instant torque, then it takes off mellow. If I say nothing, then sometimes, it just takes off, surprising even me. I liken it to "tip in" on an ice car. Sometimes a quick short jab gets more of a punch than pedal to the metal.

Confusing.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

0 to 60 takes a toll on the batteries and other systems. Doing it multiple times in a row will probably kick in protective systems to keep the car from overheating. Also, just because it is summer, the heat is going to be an issue.