Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight 'steering'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12/2016 was produced with the premium upgrades package and from what I read, the headlights should steer in the direction the car is going (Adaptive Front Lighting System). My EOS had this feature and it was both fantastic and noticeable (easily a 10-15 degree shift). I have yet to see them work on my car - it seems to only point straight ahead.

Was wondering if there is a setting I missed to turn them on...

Thanks.

They really don't move, but extra lights come on when you turn the wheel or set the turn indicator.

A quick way to see if they are working is to park next to a wall or fence at night and set the turn indicator to that side and see if you notice the lights on the wall/fence.

They really don't move, but extra lights come on when you turn the wheel or set the turn indicator.

A quick way to see if they are working is to park next to a wall or fence at night and set the turn indicator to that side and see if you notice the lights on the wall/fence.

Hmmm. I don't think that will work. The manual says:

The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
operates whenever headlights are on. If
Model S isn't moving, or is moving in reverse,
the adaptive headlights do not activate.

I guess that is answering my question about a setting to turn on/off but not how to see if it is working.

What you are saying I believe is the cornering light, as I do see additional lighting with the turn signal on.

Thanks.

OK. Good to know.

But it sounds like your figured it out knowing you do see extra light when the turn signal is on.

Well, no. We are talking about two different things - cornering lights and adaptive headlights. I do see cornering lights come on with the turn signal. What I don't see is the headlight beam 'moving' when the car is steering...

Thanks.

The headlight beams do not move. Do not expect them to. I promise you they don’t.

Take a sharp right or left turn. You should see a supplemental bulb illuminate in the direction you are turning. Not the turn signal. Those are your “adaptive headlights”.

The headlight beams do not move. Do not expect them to. I promise you they don’t.

Take a sharp right or left turn. You should see a supplemental bulb illuminate in the direction you are turning. Not the turn signal. Those are your “adaptive headlights”.

That's it? That's a bummer... I thought I read they move and have 3 movement 'settings'. Oh well :-(

Thanks.

Theres a video on YouTube that shows how it works. I don't recall the link or name of the video but yes extra lights will illuminate in the direction you turn the wheel. The lights themselves do not move like other vehicles.

Theres a video on YouTube that shows how it works. I don't recall the link or name of the video but yes extra lights will illuminate in the direction you turn the wheel. The lights themselves do not move like other vehicles.
OK. I found the video on a MX. I guess I misread how they work but will see if I can duplicate what they showed just to make sure the extra LEDs are lighting. Going to miss the 'turning' headlight feature that I used to have - it helped on winding roads at a 'longer distance away.'

Thanks.

OK. I found the video on a MX. I guess I misread how they work but will see if I can duplicate what they showed just to make sure the extra LEDs are lighting. Going to miss the 'turning' headlight feature that I used to have - it helped on winding roads at a 'longer distance away.'

Thanks.

Our Mazda SUV had the turning headlights and my wife and I loved them and actually made corners safer and easier to see.

Reactions: FMinMI