Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something like this. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be included from the factory, and it's definitely not a pretty looking solution, but if you absolutely must have one, maybe something like that would help you.

upload_2020-3-30_15-33-13.png

Why not an aftermarket solution?
There are no known solutions for that. Main problem is that everything that is on the steering wheel works over slip-ring connection. It is very complex thing that is specific to every manufacturer. Adding 2 power pins for heating is very very impossible for few hundred bucks.
Problem nr2 is that anything ON the wheel makes it too thick.And of course it looks like s**t.

There are no known solutions for that. Main problem is that everything that is on the steering wheel works over slip-ring connection. It is very complex thing that is specific to every manufacturer. Adding 2 power pins for heating is very very impossible for few hundred bucks.
Problem nr2 is that anything ON the wheel makes it too thick.And of course it looks like s**t.
The one @DDrawer posted lacks in the aesthetics department.

Do we know for a fact whether the power conduits to the steering wheel have enough capacity to run a heater?

Do we know for a fact whether the power conduits to the steering wheel have enough capacity to run a heater?
I'm pretty sure there are NO contacts for heater.
Some lanes are for airbags (usually 4), one for horn, one for ground and at least two for buttons (often. Heater requires two extra lanes (as ground must be high-power as well.
BMW has 2 versions of sliprings, one with and one without heater pins. I've disassembled some of those and can tell than ribbon cable for heater is not just "extra tracks" but actually one more ribbon as width of both copper tracks is half of ribbon width.
I'm pretty sure Tesla didn't invent a bicycle here and has similar pin system as BMW.

ItoIt ismis funny that theathe owners manual talks about heated steering:

Bottom right of page 152 of the Model Y Owner's Manual:

"Turn Climate On:. This allows you to precondition the cabin by moving the direction of air flow from the vents, and turning on or off the steering wheel and seat heaters."

I know that doesn't mean the MY has a heated steering wheel (our Model Y is on order) but I can dream.

Check it out for yourself - page 152, 2nd to last paragraph... Enjoy.

Reactions: preilly44
Tesla is just waiting for the cold winter weather later this year to send an OTA update :)
As unlikely as that sounds that is exactly what happened to the Model 3's rear heated seats feature. For months there was significant discussion on this forum debating if the seats were even heated and Tesla never confirmed or denied. Classic Tesla communication!

Tesla is just waiting for the cold winter weather later this year to send an OTA update :)
As unlikely as that sounds that is exactly what happened to the Model 3's rear heated seats feature. For months there was significant discussion on this forum debating if the seats were even heated and Tesla never confirmed or denied. Classic Tesla communication!
That would make my day! Hopefully they surprise us with an added feature.

Reactions: preilly44
My last 3 Volvo’s have had heated steering wheels, it will be missed. But prior to 2015, I’ve never had a car with a heated wheel. I’m sure I’ll manage, I have a lot of nice spring skiing gloves I can wear.

so the Model Y will be your fourth car in the last five years? I’m curious how that happens. I’ve had the same (only) car since 2004. I’m not sure which one of us is crazier.

so the Model Y will be your fourth car in the last five years? I’m curious how that happens. I’ve had the same (only) car since 2004. I’m not sure which one of us is crazier.

I had to think this one out:

April 2015- October 2015=
2015 Subaru Outback Limited
(Worst car ever)

October 2015- December 2016=
2016 Volvo V60 Platinum FWD T5
(LOVED that car, lady ran a stop sign and totaled it)

December 2016- July 2018=
2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription T6
Another great car, but a little big for me, it was a left over and I got a great deal on it.

July 2018-present=
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription T6
Another great car, which was supposed to last me until this fall, but the Y showed up early in the midst of a pandemic, and no one is buying used cars now, so it (XC60) sits in my driveway. Good thing it’s pretty much paid for.

March 2020-present=
2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Best car I’ve ever owned, despite it not having the best fit and finish, and not a luxurious as the Volvo’s I’ve had.

I keep cars for 18-24months, as I drive around 20-30,000miles a year for work, so I try to ditch them with 50-60,000miles while they still have some value. Believe it or not, I’ve never lost money on any of these transactions.

Post Script:
We had a 2004 Land Rover Discovery in there somewhere to, but that doesn’t count.