Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy/Obese drivers - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have and found it to be perfectly fine. That said, it was just a bit of time and my concern is that after a few weeks I’d find it different hence looking for opinions of owners.

My wife wants an X7 once they get released so I’m reeeeally not looking for another suv - particularly one with a 6 figure price tag.

My brother is about the same size as you and he kind of "occupies" the entire side of the car. He also found the seat motors don't have enough power to adjust his seat without him taking all the weight off them aka leaning forward and lifting up a bit to decrease the load. Based on what I saw, I'd say it's a bit small for a big driver, workable, but I'd think you'd want something more in the line of an SUV. I'd just take a test drive and see what you think. As a side note: He was able to import and extract himself from a Prelude for many years, so maybe it would work for you.

My brother is about the same size as you and he kind of "occupies" the entire side of the car. He also found the seat motors don't have enough power to adjust his seat without him taking all the weight off them aka leaning forward and lifting up a bit to decrease the load. Based on what I saw, I'd say it's a bit small for a big driver, workable, but I'd think you'd want something more in the line of an SUV. I'd just take a test drive and see what you think. As a side note: He was able to import and extract himself from a Prelude for many years, so maybe it would work for you.
I'm about 210 and I have to lean forward to make the seat tilt work as well. Is this just a problem with my car then? I mean sometimes it works, but sometimes I have to lean forward.

I'm about 210 and I have to lean forward to make the seat tilt work as well. Is this just a problem with my car then? I mean sometimes it works, but sometimes I have to lean forward.
Curious. I'm North of that, but not by much, and I use the Drive Profiles to switch positions even while driving and haven't seen anything. I like being able to flip between "EAP cruising" posture and "Speedracer reporting for duty" posture, depending on context. It's also good for adjusting posture to avoid fatigue during very long drives.

These Profile switches involve adjusting all 3 axis of the seat (plus the 2 of the steering wheel). I just top the new profile and it all works, I don't do anything to shift my weight or such. Maybe you're tensing up, so it's fighting against your muscles?

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: oneday and Dre78
Curious. I'm North of that, but not by much, and I use the Drive Profiles to switch positions even while driving and haven't seen anything. I like being able to flip between "EAP cruising" posture and "Speedracer reporting for duty" posture, depending on context. It's also good for adjusting posture to avoid fatigue during very long drives.

These Profile switches involve adjusting all 3 axis of the seat (plus the 2 of the steering wheel). I just top the new profile and it all works, I don't do anything to shift my weight or such. Maybe you're tensing up, so it's fighting against your muscles?
I'm using the manual control, I don't find the seats to be very comfortable in the 3 so I often recline pretty heavily when my back starts hurting, but I don't have a profile for back hurting it's kind of an on the fly adjustment. But then when I start driving again I often put the seat back up and that's when it won't move unless I lean forward. I suppose I'll have to go try it, but I won't be sitting in my car for a couple days (I think I have a pinched nerve in my back).

I also feel like I'm sitting on a bar on the base of the seat towards the seat back. The side bolsters are too fluffy. Wife loves my "marshmallow" seats but I like seats that are a bit more firm and supportive, and not full of fluff such that you sink through only to sit on some kinda bar or something...

• Disagree
Reactions: jfinephilly
I'm using the manual control, I don't find the seats to be very comfortable in the 3 so I often recline pretty heavily when my back starts hurting, but I don't have a profile for back hurting it's kind of an on the fly adjustment. But then when I start driving again I often put the seat back up and that's when it won't move unless I lean forward.
Ah, OK I've seen something like that when I use the seat as a lounge chair/bed. Occasionally it'll only come up part way. I don't know if it is software (that assumes rising the back will travel only a given amount at most, or if it's a limit that was put in because of assumed duty cycle limits for that motor) or if it with the seat back far enough back you're giving gravity too much of a lever on the motor. That's not going to be linear progression on the angle vs force required to lift it back up. Past a certain point it'll be lifting a LOT of mass against gravity (whether directly or you're body you're not lifting yourself pressing against the lumber region or whatever.

Ah, OK I've seen something like that when I use the seat as a lounge chair/bed. Occasionally it'll only come up part way. I don't know if it is software (that assumes rising the back will travel only a given amount at most, or if it's a limit that was put in because of assumed duty cycle limits for that motor) or if it with the seat back far enough back you're giving gravity too much of a lever on the motor. That's not going to be linear progression on the angle vs force required to lift it back up. Past a certain point it'll be lifting a LOT of mass against gravity (whether directly or you're body you're not lifting yourself pressing against the lumber region or whatever.
Yep, still, my older cars with power seats always handle my weight fine.

I'll have to sit in the passenger side and see if it does the same thing.

Hey guys - thanks so much for all the replies and thoughts. I’ve read other threads about the seats being underpowered as well. I’d have to hope that at some point Tesla would upgrade the motors if it were really a problem. I’ve never had an issue in any other car with power seats.

Again - appreciate the responses.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Same size here, just did a 3 hour drive today without any issues. I'm more comfortable in the 3 than my S to be honest. Side bolsters are much more aggressive in S. Leg room is great in both as well.

This is discouraging. The last time I drove an S the seat was uncomfortable because of the side bolsters digging into my thighs. I wondered what this would be like if I drove some distance. But about 20 years ago I had a car whose side bolsters were initially annoying but the annoyance diminished with time. My Mazda's seat has side bolsters that look similar to the S's but they have never bothered me. Maybe the seat is softer underneath although it feels firm when I push on it. Or maybe it's wider. This is a serious issue for me. The S is very tempting, but I don't want a car with seats that are painful if I take it on a trip. (I'm not considering a 3. It's too small and doesn't have air suspension.)

This is discouraging. The last time I drove an S the seat was uncomfortable because of the side bolsters digging into my thighs. I wondered what this would be like if I drove some distance. But about 20 years ago I had a car whose side bolsters were initially annoying but the annoyance diminished with time. My Mazda's seat has side bolsters that look similar to the S's but they have never bothered me. Maybe the seat is softer underneath although it feels firm when I push on it. Or maybe it's wider. This is a serious issue for me. The S is very tempting, but I don't want a car with seats that are painful if I take it on a trip. (I'm not considering a 3. It's too small and doesn't have air suspension.)
FWIW, the 3's interior isn't really much smaller than the S (in some ways it feels larger, like headroom). But the storage space isn't as large. I like the S seats better than the 3's though The bolsters on the 3 are too soft! As for air suspension on the S, well it's pretty cool, but expensive to fix if your planing to keep the car for a long time. I hear it uses parts like a Mercedes uses, so expect those costs with teslas labor rates if you have issues with it at some point.