Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heavy/Obese drivers - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I’m interested in the MY but the M3 is much cheaper as I’m not trying to break the bank lol but how comfortable do you guys think I’ll be? (6’0 415lbs) I have a Kia Telluride and the gas is killing me lol. Previous car, 2017 Kia Optima hybrid and fit just fine.

I wanna know how you fit?

That person you quoted has not been on TMC in more than 2 years, so its very unlikely you will get an answer from them. Since everyones body is different, it seems to me that you would need to go drive one, either a friend. family members, or take a test drive. No amount of "it fit for me" would matter, since even people of the same size have different proportions.

Reactions: Ciaopec
That person you quoted has not been on TMC in more than 2 years, so its very unlikely you will get an answer from them. Since everyones body is different, it seems to me that you would need to go drive one, either a friend. family members, or take a test drive. No amount of "it fit for me" would matter, since even people of the same size have different proportions.
Got cha

Hello I’m interested in the MY but the M3 is much cheaper as I’m not trying to break the bank lol but how comfortable do you guys think I’ll be? (6’0 415lbs) I have a Kia Telluride and the gas is killing me lol. Previous car, 2017 Kia Optima hybrid and fit just fine.

I think you might find it more difficult to pull yourself up and out of a Model 3 than stepping down out of a Model Y. I’d recommend test driving both and paying particular attention to getting in and out of each.

I'm a similar weight and 6ft6, I find the model 3 to be fine, and now lease one. I find that the ability for the steering wheel to retract in easy entry and then entering by sitting first and then swiveling my legs in works really well.

The leg space is amazing, it's a really comfy car for me to drive.

That said I test drove one twice before committing. Make sure you test drive first.

6’2” 285 pounds. Fit fine in the car. They are more sports seats with butt and back bolsters. So they’re not oversized flat cushy seats so they fee snug but not constraining or uncomfortable.

Y is easier for me to get in and out of. But love my 3.

3 vs Y is personal preference. There are pluses and minuses for both.

The other thing to keep in mind is break in as well as psychological effects or switching to something else.

I loved my Audi A7 seats. When I got the 3 I thought the seats were too snug. But after going back to the A7 after a few weeks I now hated the Audi seats and preferred the 3.

Somewhat like getting a new and different bed mattress. I know when I got my original Temperpedic it was sooooo uncomfortable but after 2-3 weeks it was amazing and I could never understand how I slept without out. All the back and neck pain I had in bed with various other mattresses for decades was gone.

Sometimes think will just never work and sometimes you just need to get used the the new (but not worse) norm.

Reactions: Thp3 and pipestem
I cannot imagine many obese/tall people would have a problem with the Model 3. Surely there‘d be some on the outside fringes of those descriptions. I know some pretty tall and obese folks who have no problem with theirs. But I’m about 6 foot, and well under 200, so I have plenty of room to spare in both categories. Zero issues!

Any heavy Model 3 drivers out there? Am 5’9” 300 lbs. Currently drive an Audi A6 with no issues at all. Any shorter but heavy owners with some insight? I’m thinking about making a switch.

I am basically the same, optimistically 6’0 tho…. No issues. I consider my self fit fat though. I work construction. If your an office fatty idk.

2021 Model Y. 6’1’’ 260 lbs

Basically same frame and weight. Fit fine.

That said I didn’t like it when I switched over from my Audi 7 series. But after a while in my Tesla I hated the Audi.

I’ve had similar experiences switching didn’t types of mattresses that provide similar support, but different materials.

Sometimes it’s just about getting used to it.

When I bought my last couch they told me that it’s designed to handle 300 lbs on each cushion area. I’m not 300 and after a few weeks you could tell the supports were starting to sag where you sit more often. Sometimes over engineering is just a good thing.

Btw most mattresses are designed for only 250 lbs per person. Even if you 200 it’s not going to hold up in most cases. There are actually mattresses designed to hold up to 550-600 lbs per person or say 1200 total. If you want something that should never sag and that’s over built; it should really last.