Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello everyone, I recently became the owner of a 2011 Roadster Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The present uses a normal household 13 amps socket for slow charging. Whilst I have no problem with slow charging, I heard there’s a fast charger available ‘ CAN ‘.
If I switch to a fast charger would that damage the battery leafs. Presently I’m at 60% battery life, about 190 kms on full charge so the last thing I want to do is to damage the battery

The present uses a normal household 13 amps socket for slow charging. Whilst I have no problem with slow charging, I heard there’s a fast charger available ‘ CAN ‘.
If I switch to a fast charger would that damage the battery leafs. Presently I’m at 60% battery life, about 190 kms on full charge so the last thing I want to do is to damage the battery
The "CAN" is not actually a charger. It's an adapter that allows you to use more powerful chargers such as Tesla's wall charger and mobile charging cables. If you get the CAN EU which is the version used primarily in HK you will also be able to use common Type 2 chargers that can go as high as 70A, although most are 16 or 32A.

Don't worry about hurting the battery. The car does an excellent job of protecting itself. Even the maximum 70A is very gentle for the type of cells we have.

Welcome to the forum, 16A @ 220v is not really so bad, it’s time consuming but I would decide what you need and go with that. Usually 32A would be better but if you are always just topping up then the tapering of higher amperage chargers will negate the benefit. But if your arriving to charge on empty then you may enjoy a faster turn around of the bigger charger.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new purchase. I suspect I know the seller (TVdV?).

A couple of suggestions:

1] Set the car charge limit to 10A (not 13A) if using that little black BS1363 mobile EVSE. At 13A, long-term you'll melt the wall socket and possibly damage the black plug. The car will remember the limit you set for the current location (using GPS). You can see this by leaving the car charging for a few hours and then touching the plug (at 13A, it will be very hot to the touch, while at 10A it should feel fine).

2] As Henry suggests, get an EU CAN (from Henry). It seems to work at most of the public stations here in Hong Kong (most of which are up to 32A, which is three times better than that little BS1363 socket). If you do get to install an EVSE at home/work, the EU CAN also means you can just get a normal type II EVSE (which is easier to install and maintain than the original roadster 70A monster).

Regards, Mark.