Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from the Cotswolds, UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some pictures of the Moat House HPC experience. I'd called them in advance and been assured the charger was working, but when we first rocked up all we saw was the very clearly marked and RESERVED two bays for ZCW chargers. No sign of the HPC charger point. We presented ourselves before the very attractive receptionist, who looked a bit blank about the number and type of chargers available. She did, however, find an email but that just referred to the ZCW chargers. Fortunately, just as I was starting to think our holiday was in jeopardy and we'd need to book a room for an overnight charge, she called someone. This unseen worthy knew all about the Tesla HPC charger and was able to direct is to a corner of the car-park.

The only problem then was that an Audi was parked there, almost blocking it. Fortunately (again) I was able to creep in alongside by using the grass. To be fair to the Audi, the charge area is unmarked and she (saw her later) was in a perfectly good parking slot. There are no instructions on the charger, but I flicked on the two RCD switches, plugged in and pressed START and everything started whirring happily. I checked to see 70A on the display and then Jana (my wife) and I adjourned for an excellent lunch in the bar.

Here are the piccies:

20120917.124326.jpg

Tesla squeezes in for a charge

20120917.124337.jpg

Up and suckling 70A

20120917.141204.jpg

So, in summary, all went well, but my recommendations for improvements would be:

1. The Tesla HPC charger station should be clearly marked to prevent it being blocked
2. It should have instructions attached
3. The hotel staff should be more aware of it (periodic reminders from Tesla?)

Hope this is useful.

Eugene

Last edited:
That's excellent thanks. I thought - indeed suggested - that it would go in that spot, as the hut behind has the incoming supply from the road. Last I heard though was they were digging trenches at a cost of thousands to get 70A to the ZCW area, but that was obviously not true.

Last edited:
Actually, it's a good spot, as even if people park ICE cars in the marked bay you can still access it. I suspect that is a happy accident, but it's worked out OK. Do you know what the deal was? Who paid for it's installation? It's an excellent, mid-country location and just off the motorway so - clearly - a lot of thought has gone into it. I wonder how much use it gets?

Eugene

You can read the whole story here: UK Long Range Charging Network

Moat House was identified very early on as key site, as it is the only really good hotel in the right position to make a national network with the minimum HPCs. The initial project sponsor left just after I first made contact and it took a lot of cajouling by Zerocarbonworld, Andrew Bissell and I to get this in. Then when it was installed, the HPC itself was broken. This is a replacement.

So you are not the first EV to charge there, nor the first Tesla (4th I think), but you are the first to charge at 70A as far as I know.

Come and visit. I've done the opposite journey (Edinburgh to The South) multiple times now. There is decent charging in aero burgh now mostly thanks to Zerocarbonworld. There are HPCs at Nottingham and Durham (east coast) or Tebay (west) to reach us. Though I haven't tested any of them recently. Extra stops available with 32A via Mennekes at Haggerston Castle (east) and Biggar (west) though you need one of various scheme memberships and the cable. Better is to stop at Whitmuir Organics coming up the west having turned off the motorway at Moffat and used the pretty, shorter and empty A701. At Whitmuir you have a ZCW 32A Commando for your regular Tesla box and super food.

Further north I have been up and used the one in Aviemore (commissioning run before David and Kevin's big adventure from John O'Groats Lands End). There is an HPC also at Dalmahoy next to Edinburgh but when I last checked it was broken.