Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help adding additional battery to existing system...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had 2 Powerwalls and a Backup Gateway 2 installed by a big name solar company. I just added a 3rd battery in to the system, all connections are up, but the third battery is flashing green and doesn't show up in the app.

I assume I need to re-run the install wizard, but when I connect to the Backup Gateway, I have no idea what the installer email/password are.

Help?

Had 2 Powerwalls and a Backup Gateway 2 installed by a big name solar company. I just added a 3rd battery in to the system, all connections are up, but the third battery is flashing green and doesn't show up in the app.

I assume I need to re-run the install wizard, but when I connect to the Backup Gateway, I have no idea what the installer email/password are.

Help?
I dont think "you" can add an additional battery to the system, it will need to be commissioned by a tesla certified installer, either third party one (like your big name solar company) or tesla electrician.

If by "you added" you mean you yourself, and not an installer, I dont think you can do that. the installer wizard is run by those installers.

I dont think "you" can add an additional battery to the system, it will need to be commissioned by a tesla certified installer, either third party one (like your big name solar company) or tesla electrician.

If by "you added" you mean you yourself, and not an installer, I dont think you can do that. the installer wizard is run by those installers.

Correct, I physically installed the third battery and wired it up. Just trying to figure out how to provision it on the Backup Gateway now.

First post deleted for snark factor.

I think you may be in over your head OP. Like pointed out above you need the correct access to comission an additional Powerwall.

Your wiring and or panels may not be up to that task. Post your sld from your plans and some pictures.

And.. lets assume my installer no longer exists... what would the process be then? Factory default the Backup Gateway and start over?

So the "installer" login on the Backup Gateway is not necessarily the original installer, it could be any certified Tesla installer with an active installer account?

That would be my understanding, but... tesla also has to add the serial number somewhere, etc. I dont think what you want to do is as simple as you think. You are likely going to have to pay someone who is a certified installer to at least come review and commission your install.

Ask another certified installer to install it?

I have never tried to login to another installers system. Likely a call to Tesla Support would give the new installer access if the password did not work.

The deal is the person who installed it has it on their fleet view, and is on the hook for the warranty service. Not sure how it works to have 2 different installers each install a power wall under separate accounts.

How about my question about wire and equipment size?

Are things properly sized for what you want to do? Without the proper knowledge you are risking your warranty at best, your home at worst by working on it yourself.

Reactions: jboy210
@ScubaSteve22 Just as a point of information for you, @Vines actually works for a Certified installer of PV and powerwall systems (I believe as a system designer actually) so is a bit more than "just another guy on the internets" like I am, as it relates to the topic of system setup, electrical composition, etc.

Anyway, There are a few people in this section with electrical background (I am not one of those people other than pure laymans knowledge and basic at that). I have never read of a self install of a Powerwall system, so I dont think what you want to do is "easy". If your installer went out of business, you would be expected to contact another certified installer, no matter what your specific electrical knowledge is or not.

Even a regular electrician who is licensed and bonded etc can not simply "install the powerwall" and commission it, even though they would likely have the knowledge to connect it up.

So, you will have to find a way to acquire this knowledge of passwords and such outside of normal means, and then hope it doesnt require a call into tesla with an installer account number etc to actually activate it (which I suspect it will).

Last edited:
Done and done. EXTREMELY simple. I don't quite understand all of these responses from people who really don't know the answer, but try and give one anyway. I didn't realize the installer login could happen with a simple power switch flip, so I was able to get in, provision my battery, update firmware, and it's good to go. Thanks!

Reactions: jlv1
Done and done. EXTREMELY simple. I don't quite understand all of these responses from people who really don't know the answer, but try and give one anyway. I didn't realize the installer login could happen with a simple power switch flip, so I was able to get in, provision my battery, update firmware, and it's good to go. Thanks!

you are the first person reported here who has self installed a powerwall, and there hasnt been any report of anyone else successfully doing that. Kudos to you

I would not have thought the solution to "reboot it" would have been the case, since I figured anyone who was able to self install a powerwall would have tried that.

you are the first person reported here who has self installed a powerwall, and there hasnt been any report of anyone else successfully doing that. Kudos to you

I would not have thought the solution to "reboot it" would have been the case, since I figured anyone who was able to self install a powerwall would have tried that.

Just to be clear.. I initially tried to login with installer creds but it asked for email and password which I didn't have. Someone sent me a private message and explained a little more and when I looked again, I realized I could log in as installer with a simple power switch toggle (similar to the customer login password reset).

Got to the install wizard step where it detects batteries, and did a fresh scan and it found the battery and updated firmware.

Also, for some additional clarity, I have 25+ year of Unix and security background, and have done penetration tests on the first generation of Smart Meters, so the logical side of this was never a concern for me. My physical install of the battery is fully to code, and looks just as good if not better than the original install, but I appreciate everyones concern to keep people from killing themselves or burning their houses downl... lol.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Kudos to you for getting yourself up and running. Hopefully you aren't overheating any busbars. If the magic smoke comes out you will know that you did.

The concerns I have are
705.12 busbar backfeed checks still complaint
wire ampacities
Grid impedance

But as you already know all that I'll step off any concern.

Kudos to you for getting yourself up and running. Hopefully you aren't overheating any busbars. If the magic smoke comes out you will know that you did.

The concerns I have are
705.12 busbar backfeed checks still complaint
wire ampacities
Grid impedance

But as you already know all that I'll step off any concern.

I appreciate it! Should be all good, but I'll triple check the above!

I appreciate it! Should be all good, but I'll triple check the above!

Will be interesting to see if Tesla allows this going forward. Many of our customers wanted more Powerwalls but we are unable to sell them due to impedance restrictions. I wonder what happens when they just self install and go over the threshold.

What was your impedance measured at? Keep us informed please of how it goes.

Will be interesting to see if Tesla allows this going forward. Many of our customers wanted more Powerwalls but we are unable to sell them due to impedance restrictions. I wonder what happens when they just self install and go over the threshold.

What was your impedance measured at? Keep us informed please of how it goes.

Grid impedance is the only thing I'm waiting to triple confirm... all else looks good... during install I was told I could run as many batteries as I wanted basically (so I assume going from 2 to 3 I'm still well within spec), but I want to confirm that again. Thanks for the help!

Grid impedance is the only thing I'm waiting to triple confirm... all else looks good... during install I was told I could run as many batteries as I wanted basically (so I assume going from 2 to 3 I'm still well within spec), but I want to confirm that again. Thanks for the help!

No problem, its fun to help and I learn stuff too. My system at home wont be for a few months still so I cant really play with the settings and commissioning as much as I would like.

Having measured many of these there is no way its truly "as many as you want." 200A, 400A and 600A services all have a range of impedance that is possible, and likely based on distance to the transformer, and age of it.

Its been an interesting open question in my mind, so I am truly interested in a professional way not a trainwreck way. The effects of a too large impedance aren't well understood yet by myself from a practical standpoint with the Powerwall.

What size is your service anyway?