Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Leasing company increasing price after signing contract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help - So I signed my mew MYP lease in November 2021 and now that my car is due for arrival they are trying to put my prices up by £112 a month!! You can imagine what I thi8nk of them after waiting a year for my car!

Has anybody else encountered this?

As they have the RN number (although I know what it is) they have told me if they find another funder that I loose my order and basically start the order process again so looking at March?

Does anybody have a telephone number for Tesla department where I might be able to discuss getting the RN number transferred to me?

Given Tesla's customer service attitude elsewhere I would be surprised if they'll take the car away from a company that were buying it to give to a customer of theirs who was leasing it from them (you were never going to be the owner of that car). I'm not sure what legal basis you'd think Tesla would do that?

There have been new inventory performance in the inventory as recently as last night, a quick search of Telegram and there were 1 on monday, and I lost count how many on Friday. That might be an easier route to getting a MYP quickly, but prices may well have gone up since you ordered.

I'd be looking at the contract I have with the lease company and the clause they're invoking to enable them to put prices up. If there's isn't one, then you have the option of going legal.

They are the ones buying the car, so they are the ones who have a contractual relationship with Tesla. Tesla will not be interested in whatever you are ultimately paying, I'm afraid.

It's pretty lame, you would have to check whatever documentation you received when you signed the contract initially to find out what remedy you have - if any. I would suspect that price rises covered off in the contract, and your only remedy is probably to cancel the whole thing without penalty.

Reactions: Eric W
They are the ones buying the car, so they are the ones who have a contractual relationship with Tesla. Tesla will not be interested in whatever you are ultimately paying, I'm afraid.

It's pretty lame, you would have to check whatever documentation you received when you signed the contract initially to find out what remedy you have - if any. I would suspect that price rises covered off in the contract, and your only remedy is probably to cancel the whole thing without penalty.
I would agree with @Durzel and add that I would think it highly unlikely they would push a price increase if the contract didn't give them scope to do so.

Unfortunately, it looks like your options do seem to be either swallow it or cancel and start again.

Depends on what you actually signed but could be breech of contract. Was it an ‘invitation to treat’ or a hire agreement? You agreed a price and they’re trying to charge you more. My agreement does allow them to pull out before delivery but under limited circumstances:
We may also end this Agreement if after you have entered into this Agreement but before the Delivery Date:

• the Vehicle you have ordered ceases to be available or ceases to be available with the specification in the order; or
• on the basis of a further finance check on your circumstances we consider the rentals are no longer affordable by you

Suggest:
  • Read the paperwork (if you haven’t already).
  • Ask the lease co to clarify (in writing) exactly what they’re saying.
  • Depending on the above, make a compliant to the lease co.
  • Credit and borrowing money
It’s hard to force them to provide the car if they don’t want to but it might make them think twice about giving it to someone else if they have to settle your losses. If they don’t want to provide the car I’d be seeking losses being the difference for what it’ll cost to lease a car now vs your agreement price.

Again, all depends on what you signed.