Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help me choose my model y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla drivers,

I had my test drive in a model y today. It was an amazing experience and the best car I ever drove. I couldn't believe how fast the acceleration is. Here's the thing, I was told it was a long rang model but after the test drive another tesla worker said it was the performance model. The car has the same rims that long range has, no red calipers, or black rear lip. It however did have a red line under the words dual motor in the back. Is there any other way to confirm it was a performance model? it also did have a chill and sport driving mode.

I have some questions and I hope some of you can chime in.

how would a long range with acceleration boost compare to a performance model at speeds from like 30-100pmh, 50-100mph?

if it's very similar at highway speeds, I'll just get the long range with performance boost.

unfortunately the tesla dealer that's near me does not have any other model y for me to test.

when I was out on my test drive, I was thinking how anyone would need the performance model with the speeds I was seeing but it turns out I was probably driving the performance model. even my wife was having so much fun mashing the pedal and sending our bodies into the seat. I was so happy until I found out that I would have to pay 8-10k more for that experience.

if anyone had experience comparing the model y performance vs longer range with boost, please voice your opinion.

tyvm

Long range all wheel drive is amazing. If I want to get more I can add the performance boost. Performance is overpriced to me, esp since I prefer the more stealth look without all the performance add ons. Besides I won’t be tracking the car.

Reactions: Reborn
The car has the same rims that long range has, no red calipers, or black rear lip.
It however did have a red line under the words dual motor in the back.
Is there any other way to confirm it was a performance model?
it also did have a chill and sport driving mode.
The back spoiler often get added after delivery,
but no red caliper is strange especially if there was a red line under the dual motor words.

Can you go back to the Tesla Store and take a picture of the VIN number?
You can find the VIN at the base of the windshield, but best is to use the center display and press on the 'T' on the top.
You can get additional information about Software version, FSD,...

The VIN will tell you if you have a Performance version or not.

TeslaTap - VIN Decoder

Position: 10 - Value: L = Model Year 2020

Position: 8 - Motor/Drive Unit:

D = Single Motor - Standard Model Y
E = Dual Motor - - Standard Model Y
F = Dual Motor - - Performance Model Y
Note: I would recommend waiting for getting a 2021 Model Year (Position: 10 - Value: M)
which might already the case for the exported models.

Last edited:
Yeah, Tesla used to sell performance models without the rims, brakes and suspension upgrades. It still comes with the spoiler and badge. The spoiler often gets added after delivery. Sounds like you tested a sleeper. I have a long range and I think the long range with acceleration boost is the perfect combo. The performance Y and Long Range Y with boost is really only 0.5 second difference. Tesla post the 0 to 60 number for performance models is with a 1 ft rollout, but long range is without. So the long range with boost rollout number is really 3.9-4 seconds. I'm very surprised they only have performance model for test drive. Join your local facebook tesla group, or your official local tesla club and see if someone will let you test drive theirs if you really want to. But if you think the performance is too fast, then the long range with or without boost should be good enough. Plus you gain the extra range! Remember, you can always test the boost for 48 hours and get a refund, but much more complicated if you buy a performance and want to return within 7 days . Haha.

Yeah, Tesla used to sell performance models without the rims, brakes and suspension upgrades.
It still comes with the spoiler and badge. The spoiler often gets added after delivery.
Sounds like you tested a sleeper. I have a long range and I think the long range with acceleration boost is the perfect combo.
The performance Y and Long Range Y with boost is really only 0.5 second difference.
Tesla post the 0 to 60 number for performance models is with a 1 ft rollout, but long range is without.
So the long range with boost rollout number is really 3.9-4 seconds.
I'm very surprised they only have performance model for test drive.
Join your local facebook tesla group, or your official local tesla club and see if someone will let you test drive theirs if you really want to.
But if you think the performance is too fast, then the long range with or without boost should be good enough.
Plus you gain the extra range! Remember, you can always test the boost for 48 hours and get a refund,
but much more complicated if you buy a performance and want to return within 7 days . Haha.
You are right, the MYP PUP and MYP without PUP were sold at the same price !!!

It was better to get the PUP and sell the staggered 21" Überturbine wheels
and get the 20’’ Induction wheels or any other aftermarket wheels able to fit the brakes.

I believe this version was removed from the website around Jun 2020.

It would be interesting to get the last 5 digit of the VIN, I imagine below 20,000 ?

Last edited: