Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand why I should be FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did not buy EAP or FSD back in November when I bought my M3 LR AWD. I did not like it on my test drive and the amount was more than I wanted to pay for something I did not like.

After my 30 day trail, I Iiked EAP but did not use it enough to warrant the cost - it was fun to show friends but not something that I could not live without. I did not once use the parking option and navigate on Autopilot was not legal in my area.

Now with the new promo, for $2K USD I figure why note get AP? I will get some use out of it. But FSD I am not so sure about. Given that I don't care about summons or parking, the only thing that matters to me is IF my car could actually drive for me on city streets BUT I figure we are YEARS away from this working and buying FSD will be a waste of money right now.

Given Tesla practice in changing prices all the time, I can see there being another good "FSD" deal 2 or 3 years from now. Or Even more likely SFSD (Super FSD) with a computer upgrade come out on future day that may actually do the things that FSD promises. So why not wait out for that?

Reactions: Glamisduner
This is exactly the problem with Tesla's recent actions. Who in their right mind would trust anything Tesla says? They've proven if you don't support them eventually you will get software upgrades at cheaper prices. Just wait a few years and they'll eventually throw everyone a bone and bundle Autopilot/FSD as one entire package for $500 just to get anything from an existing customer.

...So why not wait out for that?

A prudent consumer would need proof of quality before paying for it.

Tesla relies on many who do not need to take a test drive, kick a real tire... in order to make a purchase decision.

That said, I still enjoy being a beta tester instead of a prudent consumer.

Navigate on Autopilot: It's still in its infancy but I still like it a lot especially it automatically signals and exits which has saved me missing exits when I was talking to passengers in the past.

AutoPark/Summon: I only use it for demo, as a gimmick until one day I actually had to do it for real in a parking lot that was full except for one very tight spot that occupants wouldn't be able to open doors once the car parked in that tight spot. That only happened once since I bought it in 2017 but I now like it very much.

It's very fun and great to grow with the system as a beta tester.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong being a prudent consumer and wait for proof of quality.

A prudent consumer would need proof of quality before paying for it.

Tesla relies on many who do not need to take a test drive, kick a real tire... in order to make a purchase decision.

That said, I still enjoy being a beta tester instead of a prudent consumer.

Navigate on Autopilot: It's still in its infancy but I still like it a lot especially it automatically signals and exits which has saved me missing exits when I was talking to passengers in the past.

AutoPark/Summon: I only use it for demo, as a gimmick until one day I actually had to do it for real in a parking lot that was full except for one very tight spot that people wouldn't be able to open doors when they got in. That only happened once since I bought it in 2017 but I now like it very much.

It's very fun and great to grow with the system as a beta tester.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong being a prudent consumer and wait for proof of quality.

Thanks a helpful reply, one of the most well thought out and worded I have seen on the interweb. I

In truth I don't trust the car's computer well enough to let it drive without me (Autopark/Summon) particularly because in the real world I do not have a practical use for it other than it being cool. I love the cool part, but I would be crushed if I caused myself the hassle and cost of car repair to do something cool. I actually did not allow Summon to be turned on in my EAP trial for fear of wanting to try it out and have an accident.

95% of my driving is on roads that I have driven for 20 years and know well, so Nav on AP is not going to help me to do that any better. I do use navigation from time to time and rarely have missed an exit in my life (maybe once every few years?).

I would lover however to be able to get in my car, tell it where I want go and let it take me there, but I fear we are still a long way off from that and another computer upgrade will be needed before the car can do it.

I live in the Houston metro area, to get from point A to point B in this city you pretty much HAVE to use a freeway and during rush hours is a nightmare. enter EAP and it is so much less stressful to drive around.
I think about 80% of the 8,000 miles on my model 3 have been driven on EAP. to me it is a good feature on my vehicle.
Summon yes it is a gimmick right now. I only use it to get the car in and out of the garage to get the trash/recycle bins out.
auto parking has worked only 3 times in the last 7 months and twice it has rubbed my wheels on the curve.
I will get FSD not only because they are moving some of the features I use the most to it, but also I want to support the development of these technologies, so I will be putting my money where my words are, investing on the technology,

and also even though I drive the same routes every day, I always put the destination on the nav system, mostly for the traffic feature. seems like every time I decide not to use nav there is an accident that makes me spend an extra hour stuck in a traffic jam that could be avoided with an alternative route suggested by the nav system

So I did not buy EAP or FSD back in November when I bought my M3 LR AWD. I did not like it on my test drive and the amount was more than I wanted to pay for something I did not like.

After my 30 day trail, I Iiked EAP but did not use it enough to warrant the cost - it was fun to show friends but not something that I could not live without. I did not once use the parking option and navigate on Autopilot was not legal in my area.

Now with the new promo, for $2K USD I figure why note get AP? I will get some use out of it. But FSD I am not so sure about. Given that I don't care about summons or parking, the only thing that matters to me is IF my car could actually drive for me on city streets BUT I figure we are YEARS away from this working and buying FSD will be a waste of money right now.

Given Tesla practice in changing prices all the time, I can see there being another good "FSD" deal 2 or 3 years from now. Or Even more likely SFSD (Super FSD) with a computer upgrade come out on future day that may actually do the things that FSD promises. So why not wait out for that?
Well, if you were going to use it, it's a better deal than anyone else has been able to get so far. But yea, your basically just still getting EAP for $5k for now, but with free future upgrades as the bonus.

I don't think there will be discounts to FSD in future.

My understanding is that the price drops were to compensate past buyers for the recent large price cuts for S3X. I don't think they are offering discounts on AP1, right?

I live in the Houston metro area, to get from point A to point B in this city you pretty much HAVE to use a freeway and during rush hours is a nightmare. enter EAP and it is so much less stressful to drive around.
I think about 80% of the 8,000 miles on my model 3 have been driven on EAP. to me it is a good feature on my vehicle.
Summon yes it is a gimmick right now. I only use it to get the car in and out of the garage to get the trash/recycle bins out.
auto parking has worked only 3 times in the last 7 months and twice it has rubbed my wheels on the curve.
I will get FSD not only because they are moving some of the features I use the most to it, but also I want to support the development of these technologies, so I will be putting my money where my words are, investing on the technology,

Yes I live in a small big city (2.5M) and I use freeways all the time but I know them like the back of my hand and frankly as EV get to use a special lane, I don't make lane changes and traffic conditions are not a big factor on my daily drives.

As for your comment of about FSD, my understanding is EAP is being grandfathered in, so you will not be losing any features

Reactions: Jrzapata
BUT I figure we are YEARS away from this working and buying FSD will be a waste of money right now.

You have answered your own question.
Robin

Yes but I am interested in if maybe there is something I have not considered. IF buying FSD will future proof me and I will be able to take advantage of any and all upgrades that come - then that could be worth it. But I can't help but think when the things I really want come around there will be a new package that is above FSD that I will need to buy anyway.

Reactions: kavyboy
Yes but I am interested in if maybe there is something I have not considered. IF buying FSD will future proof me and I will be able to take advantage of any and all upgrades that come - then that could be worth it. But I can't help but think when the things I really want come around there will be a new package that is above FSD that I will need to buy anyway.
Trying to predict what Tesla might do, what tech will allow, what the feds might approve, is hard enough. For me, it’s enough to suspect that a Model 3 owner today will probably no longer own (or want to own) the car when actual FSD becomes usable someday. Kind of like specifying a dial up modem be included in a new TRS-80 to future proof it.
Robin

We bought Enhanced Autopilot and love being able to drive/ride stress-free through Atlanta traffic. NoA keeps us in the fast lane while respecting other drivers who may want to go faster, along with helping us avoid any of those goof balls that are not paying attention (and do not have Autopilot, ha). I have also used Summon way more than I thought, especially parking in tight spaces that keep our vehicle away from door dingers (remember that Tesla panels are sensitive and parts are scarce, ugh). The few times that we have used Autopark, I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed with challenging parallel maneuvers. So, is [Enhanced] Autopilot necessary? No. Is it transformational if you have it and use it? Yes! Personally, I'm bummed for anyone who owns a Tesla and does not get to experience the fruits of their autonomous development. It really does keep getting better (owners since late 2016).