Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have an FSD question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2019 I purchased an M3 and became a FSD beta tester. I enjoyed FSD but didn't need to do it again. I sold the 2019 and purchased a 2022 M3 and did not add FSD.

Two years later, because this is my toy, I succumbed to the "buy it" call that kept bugging me. A few days ago I purchased FSD again.

Here is my problem...

In 2019 when using FSD, I could set it up so that the car did not make a turn or lane change without my approval. The car would ask.

In this new FSD it does not look like I can set it up that way. It now will try and make a turn even when I don't want it to and I have to fight it off. It seems like the closest way I can get to not making a turn or lane change is by using the Minimal Lane Change.

Am I correct? There is no way to set FSD so that it will not make a turn without my OK?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Are you sure you weren't using Navigate on Autopilot? Navigate on Autopilot is still available now, under settings.
Navigate on Autopilot still lets you require confirmation for lane changes. FSD Beta no longer allows that, it will always change lanes automatically. However, you can minimize lane changes on FSD Beta by enabling the Minimize Lane Changes option, on the Controls > Autopilot screen or by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right while using AP (using the scroll wheel also changes the following profile, which replaced following distance). Unfortunately, Minimize Lane Changes has to be enabled for every drive.

Navigate on Autopilot still lets you require confirmation for lane changes. FSD Beta no longer allows that, it will always change lanes automatically. However, you can minimize lane changes on FSD Beta by enabling the Minimize Lane Changes option, on the Controls > Autopilot screen or by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right while using AP (using the scroll wheel also changes the following profile, which replaced following distance). Unfortunately, Minimize Lane Changes has to be enabled for every drive.

To me that's sad. I like a tad bit more control in that area. Now, I have to stop the car from taking the turn which turns off FSD

Easiest way to “fight it off” is to cancel the turn signal before the car starts the lane change.

Unfortunately, that will be after cars around you see the turn signal so it may annoy or enrage their drivers. If even setting minimize lane changes doesn’t reduce instances enough for you or others, switch to Autosteer w/NoA (have to be parked to reenable FSD) or revert to TACC for a while (or manual driving).

Easiest way to “fight it off” is to cancel the turn signal before the car starts the lane change.

Unfortunately, that will be after cars around you see the turn signal so it may annoy or enrage their drivers. If even setting minimize lane changes doesn’t reduce instances enough for you or others, switch to Autosteer w/NoA (have to be parked to reenable FSD) or revert to TACC for a while (or manual driving).
It was so easy, flip a switch to make the computer ask before making a turn

Why the change?

EV-Rider-FL

You were very knowledgeable about FSD and helped me

I have another...
Why is the Set Speed greyed out and not useable?

Even when Minimal Lane Change for Current Drive is turned on, the Set Speed is still greyed out.

Am I missing something?

IMG_1371.jpg

It was so easy, flip a switch to make the computer ask before making a turn

Why the change?

You’d have to X Elon and have a lot of followers to get anything close to an official response but, from what I understand, it’s what they considered the next logical step toward truly implementing FSD and the next levels of autonomy. Since its beta, we’re opting in to let them test those next steps and I, for one, understand the lane change thing. Wish they had better means of tester feedback and also wish they would explain why they think auto brights, auto wipers, and auto bright screen are good steps; screen is annoying but wipers are the most frustrating right now.

EV-Rider-FL

You were very knowledgeable about FSD and helped me

I have another...
Why is the Set Speed greyed out and not useable?

Even when Minimal Lane Change for Current Drive is turned on, the Set Speed is still greyed out.

Am I missing something?

View attachment 987172

I’ve noticed that and I’ve also wondered if that was intentional or a bug. I don’t know why using FSD Beta would be incompatible with changing the Set Speed option.

Reactions: JimShaw