Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed in the East Bay, Nor Cal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
We are from Southern California, but my wife took our 2013 model S to the East Bay and she is taking care of her mom that was diagnosed with cancer. She needs to transport her to and back from the doctor and unfortunately her door handle failed. She still hears the motor, but the handle won't move, which suggests that the paddle gear failed. The car is out of warranty and I don't want her to spend $1k+ for a door handle. Is there anyone in the bay area that could help fix it or suggest a shop she could go to? I really appreciate it.

Hey guys,
We are from Southern California, but my wife took our 2013 model S to the East Bay and she is taking care of her mom that was diagnosed with cancer. She needs to transport her to and back from the doctor and unfortunately her door handle failed. She still hears the motor, but the handle won't move, which suggests that the paddle gear failed. The car is out of warranty and I don't want her to spend $1k+ for a door handle. Is there anyone in the bay area that could help fix it or suggest a shop she could go to? I really appreciate it.
Sorry to hear about your wife's mother. I'm not anywhere near San Francisco but with a couple of hand tools, a $5 part & about an hour or so of your time with the assistance of online videos and tutorials you can fix it yourself. No need to spend $1k.

FWIW I thought gen 3 door handle replacements are FAR under $1,000 now - I swear I’ve seen some posts with people paying ~$300.

Given your situation it might be worth having your wife just show up at the Dublin SC and explain the predicament. I agree $1,000 is insane but $300 to get out of a pinch doesn’t seem too bad.

Unfortunately I am with the kids 400 miles away.
For a temporary fix you can pry the handle out with a credit card or something that won't damage the paint around the handle. Then get yourself a piece of packing tape and fold it over on itself so it's not sticky then wrap this around the handle and stick it to itself on the surface so that there's a little tab that stands out. Now whenever you walk up to the car you just have to pull on that tab and the handle will come out and the door will open. This will get you by until you're able to get it repaired.

FWIW I thought gen 3 door handle replacements are FAR under $1,000 now - I swear I’ve seen some posts with people paying ~$300.

Given your situation it might be worth having your wife just show up at the Dublin SC and explain the predicament. I agree $1,000 is insane but $300 to get out of a pinch doesn’t seem too bad.
I believe the version 3 handle assembly is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. It's also a far more simple, robust and reliable piece as well.

I believe the version 3 handle assembly is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. It's also a far more simple, robust and reliable piece as well.

What's the best way to find out how much it costs? Are you guys sure that it's $300ish? That would be great. I also just placed an order on a Y yesterday and I was going to ask Tesla if they would honor good will by any chance.

For a temporary fix you can pry the handle out with a credit card or something that won't damage the paint around the handle. Then get yourself a piece of packing tape and fold it over on itself so it's not sticky then wrap this around the handle and stick it to itself on the surface so that there's a little tab that stands out. Now whenever you walk up to the car you just have to pull on that tab and the handle will come out and the door will open. This will get you by until you're able to get it repaired.
She did that, but now the handle is stuck in the open position and will not retract. The motor keeps on trying to retract it. I had to have her pull fuse #40, which turned off the motor, but now rear doors are not accessible.