Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed painting Tesla emblems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a chrome delete done by RPM Tesla and they did paint the front and rear T emblems. When I took my car to Tesla a few days ago to have the windshield replaced, they told my wife they had the dual motor emblems in and offered to put on the car. She accepted and then told me later. I’m going to have to remove it but I’ve never painted one before. RPM Tesla sands them down before painting. That doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult on the T emblem but the dual motor emblem has a lot of sides and edges so that will be the first challenge. I have a Dremel but I’m trying to think of any particular attachment that might work to softly grind the finish down on all the edges. Once I get that done, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of black paint they used to paint the emblem. If anybody has experience here please let me know. Thanks.

a dremel is overkill. Get the emblem from Tesla. It will be perfectly spaced on a piece of plastic. Take it to a paint shop, have them paint it for you, then apply it. That is the best way.

or, use a red or green scotch pad and scuff the chrome, use self etching primer, then paint. LET it dry for a few days!! Then apply it.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Sorry, I'm not trying to advertise for RPM. They do a good job on most things but not all. I had them powder coat my wheels which was suppose to match the paint color of the car and it was way off. I had to have them repainted elsewhere. In any case, they truly did a great job on the chrome delete. As far as the emblems go, they offered to do them but I think it was another $100. Pretty hefty cost but they told me that they have to sand the chrome down first to get the paint to stick. Labor intensive I guess. Turned out good though.

Last edited: