Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get the front and rear emblems painted on my Model Y. I want to keep the factory emblems but I just want to have the “T” and the “Dual Motor” painted solid black (or maybe a matte bronze, haven’t decided yet). I don’t like the stick-on covers I see online as they make the emblem look slightly bigger and thicker than the factory one.

Has anyone had their factory chrome emblems painted? How much did it cost to get it done professionally?

I found a local mobile shop that will come to your home/office and do an emblem/chrome trim paint service. Looks like they charge about $100 to paint all the chrome on the front and rear of a Model Y. Does this seem like a reasonable price?

Sounds great! Thanks for the input folks! I think I will try plastidip first. If that doesn’t work out well for me, then I’ll call in the pros.
Having used both Plastidip and Hyperdip I would recommend the Hyperdip from DYC as it's easier to work with and lays down smoother. It looks like it came that way from factory. I did mine in Piano Black and been super happy. They also sell a spudger tool that is handy although not needed

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_220943054.jpg
    PXL_20230204_220943054.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 221
  • PXL_20230204_212249518~2.jpg
    PXL_20230204_212249518~2.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 182
  • PXL_20230204_215629626.jpg
    PXL_20230204_215629626.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: UoMDeacon and Bob2C
Having used both Plastidip and Hyperdip I would recommend the Hyperdip from DYC as it's easier to work with and lays down smoother. It looks like it came that way from factory. I did mine in Piano Black and been super happy. They also sell a spudger tool that is handy although not needed
Wow those look great! I tried myself with PlastiDip, and it I think I went too heavy on the first coat so it was causing small puddles on the top side. I had peel/rub everything off once it dried.

I found this local mobile shop that serves my area. I made an appointment for them to come to my home and paint my chrome while I’m stuck in a bunch of zoom meetings. That should save me some time and frustration (I’m not good with a spray can). It’s called Emblem Envy. Definitely not a million dollar operation, but should be good enough for clean results.

I have a question: I love the result but can you talk a little about the step by step? How did you mask the emblems? Or if you removed them for painting, how did you do that? (n00b questions, I know)
I wasn't even able to mask my car because I ceramic coated it and I couldn't get the tape to stick. It's fine. Once it dries everything comes off and whatever is left easily comes off with a microfiber towel and detailing spray for lubrication.

This video will show you the process. It's pretty easy and one can is enough for like 10 Model Y probably

Reactions: pvanosta
I found this local mobile shop that serves my area. I made an appointment for them to come to my home and paint my chrome while I’m stuck in a bunch of zoom meetings. That should save me some time and frustration (I’m not good with a spray can). It’s called Emblem Envy. Definitely not a million dollar operation, but should be good enough for clean results.
I'd be concerned they call it paint instead of Plastidip or Hyperdip

Reactions: MAVRIC
So the results are in. They came an made my badges matte black. And I am quite pleased with the results:

505976A7-09D9-486B-839C-7982D4E8D790.jpeg
58086345-DBB2-48AC-8005-D8C0ED15C263.jpeg
562C98CF-9461-4E57-8018-89D08EEFACEE.jpeg

The black on black looks amazing. In the sun you can still see that contrast between the the matte emblems and the gloss paint. But in the shade or at night it looks debadged. They mentioned it was peelable paint so if I ever wanted to change the color or go back to chrome, then it’s pretty easy to do. So they must have used some sort of PlastiDip type of material.

So the results are in. They came an made my badges matte black. And I am quite pleased with the results:

View attachment 930388View attachment 930389View attachment 930390

The black on black looks amazing. In the sun you can still see that contrast between the the matte emblems and the gloss paint. But in the shade or at night it looks debadged. They mentioned it was peelable paint so if I ever wanted to change the color or go back to chrome, then it’s pretty easy to do. So they must have used some sort of PlastiDip type of material.
Yes that looks exactly like regular black Plastidip. They did a clean job. Looks awesome. Glad you're happy

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl