Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed Pls Rear Caliper Paint P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I painted the calipers front and back on a P3D- with G2 Tesla Kit.

On the front I messed up a sticker and need to remove and replace. Curious how hard to remove? Should I use a heat gun.

I wasn't comfortable on the placement on the rear. I see where to place, however that surface is bumpy or rough not smooth like the front any ideas here for people that did the rear. My rears aren't as glossy smooth as front.

Thank you in advance for comments and help!

Yes, the rear caliper is a rough casting, so it won't look as good as the front unless you sand the metal smooth (a lot of work) or put a skim coat of filler over them (easy).

The filler would probably survive since the rear brakes don't get too hot with all the regen braking. Those kinds of rough casted calipers that are painted without something to smooth them never look good with bright color paints. The bright paint just highlights that they are cheap brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: JasonR67
Yes, the rear caliper is a rough casting, so it won't look as good as the front unless you sand the metal smooth (a lot of work) or put a skim coat of filler over them (easy).

The filler would probably survive since the rear brakes don't get too hot with all the regen braking. Those kinds of rough casted calipers that are painted without something to smooth them never look good with bright color paints. The bright paint just highlights that they are cheap brakes.

Yeah thats invaluable information for whoever reads this debating on the job. For me, mine are painted with G2 epoxy what are my options now. Thanks glad someone knows what I am talking about.

Yeah thats invaluable information for whoever reads this debating on the job. For me, mine are painted with G2 epoxy what are my options now. Thanks glad someone knows what I am talking about.

G2 is capable of building very thick paint layers. You could sand your calipers down with 220 grit and then add more G2 paint. If it’s not smooth enough after the first sanding, then you have to do it again, and keep going until you get a smooth finish.

The only catch is that you probably need to buy 2 more cans since the paint only lasts a few hours, so you won’t be able to paint, let dry, sand and paint again without using new cans of G2.

You’ll also have to leave 24-48hr in between for the product to fully dry before sanding again, as the G2 shrinks during drying.