Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Please! Wine Spill Smell - Even after interior detail/shampoo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I tried searching but didn't find anything.

A bottle of red wine slipped from the back seat and shattered in the back, behind the seats and center console. Now the car smells, of course. Sadly even after a week of venting the windows, having all windows fully open during my 60 min. daily commute AND having it professionally detailed (shampoo of interior etc) - the smell remains! It has gone from a funky, grape alcohol smell to a strawberry cheesecake with a hint of alcohol smell.

Other than continuing to air it out, any other recommendations? This is black interior by the way. I wonder if most of the wine went into the rear vents on the floors.

Any help appreciated!

Find someone with COVID and pray you get hit with the loss of smell.

Did the detailer use an extractor and heavy lifting agents or just hand shampoo the interior? A chlorine puck in a cup of water with all windows closed for a good hour can do the trick sometimes.

Try an ozone generator. Some detail shops should offer the service or you can buy one yourself. Just don't run it for very long and use precautions to air out the ozone once done. I have used one in my 3 for the cabin air filter funk and it worked well.

Try an ozone generator. Some detail shops should offer the service or you can buy one yourself. Just don't run it for very long and use precautions to air out the ozone once done. I have used one in my 3 for the cabin air filter funk and it worked well.
Knowing me, I'll end up poisoning myself if I try it myself - but I will call around to some local detail shops for sure! thank you

FYI, you can buy an ozone generator on Amazon for less than $100. The trick is to find someone who will ship to California. Apparently, they are illegal to sell here, which is typical California BS. So it may take some searching to find one that will ship. People have also reported being able to find them on eBay.

I have one, and am in Orange County. If you can’t find one, and are willing to make a trip, you are welcome to try mine. PM me if interested, and we can work out a time.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I recently cracked a bottle when it was rolling around in the front seat.
Were you able to get rid of the wine smell? I used a carpet/upholstery cleaning machine to pull most of the wine out, but there is still a smell. I am hoping to be able to get rid of it or buy new carpets and replace the carpet, but not sure if Tesla sells it retail.