Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - range calculation for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a bit of help with a range calculator.

During the winter, I often do snow trips. From my house, I will easily be able to make it to the closest supercharger (250km away).

From the supercharger, and assuming I get a 100% charge, the trip would then be as follows:

1. 111km to the top of the mountain, with a 1700m vertical ascent
2. The car would be stationary at the top of the mountain for 3 days (no way of charging at top of mount)
3. The trip back to the supercharger would then be 111km, with 1700m descent
4. Average speed for the trip would be 60km/hr, outside temp 0c with heater on
2. 220kg worth of luggage and passengers on board

Is is likely that the M3 will make the distance?

After a bit of help with a range calculator.

During the winter, I often do snow trips. From my house, I will easily be able to make it to the closest supercharger (250km away).

From the supercharger, and assuming I get a 100% charge, the trip would then be as follows:

1. 111km to the top of the mountain, with a 1700m vertical ascent
2. The car would be stationary at the top of the mountain for 3 days (no way of charging at top of mount)
3. The trip back to the supercharger would then be 111km, with 1700m descent
4. Average speed for the trip would be 60km/hr, outside temp 0c with heater on
2. 220kg worth of luggage and passengers on board

Is is likely that the M3 will make the distance?
What counts as "winter" in Australia? +20 degrees instead of +40 degrees?

<----Canadian

how much of that could you coast and take advantage of high level regen??
EV's using regen are very efficient at climbing and then descending...meaning if you end at the same elevation as you start, then the elevation changes don't make a huge difference overall. Key assumptions: 1) regen is used as much as possible and not the friction brakes, 2) the trip doesn't start with a full battery from the top of a mountain.

I made a 60mi trip recently, first descending 4000', then returning and climbing back up. Both legs were under the same conditions, light rain and relatively slow highway speeds (ave: ~55mph). I averaged 61 Wh/mi downhill and 345 Wh/mi returning along the same route uphill. The whole trip average was 203 Wh/mi, which is about the same as if the entire trip was on level ground (in light rain and slow highway speeds).

Reactions: Bennny
EV's using regen are very efficient at climbing and then descending...meaning if you end at the same elevation as you start, then the elevation changes don't make a huge difference overall. Key assumptions: 1) regen is used as much as possible and not the friction brakes, 2) the trip doesn't start with a full battery from the top of a mountain.

I made a 60mi trip recently, first descending 4000', then returning and climbing back up. Both legs were under the same conditions, light rain and relatively slow highway speeds (ave: ~55mph). I averaged 61 Wh/mi downhill and 345 Wh/mi returning along the same route uphill. The whole trip average was 203 Wh/mi, which is about the same as if the entire trip was on level ground (in light rain and slow highway speeds).
Nice data exercise, well done, thanks.

Terrific, thanks for that. Based on that data, even the base M3 will make the return trip without any worries.