Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help save spider stuck inside rear quarter driver's side tail lamp :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is possible to disconnect and take these lights away from the car but it requires some mechanical "talent", a few tools and a lot of patience!

Some videos can be found on the net but it is rarely detailed...

The question is then "how to remove the insects when you have taken the light apart :confused:

I may take my chance one of these days because I also have some bugs in the rear lamps...

Good luck all

From the experience of someone who actually did it: is this tricky?
Which are the tips to do it "easily"?
The chrome bar is glued to the rear tail lights, correct?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like a good project for my Easter weekend in confinement...

The taillights aren't sealed, they are vented. So insects and moisture can get in at any time. But it should also allow the moisture to evaporate out.

I wish they installed a netting type membrane to prevent insects from going in while allowing ventilation.

The dead spider looks super ugly and not a good combination with my OCD :( I need to fix this somehow.

From the experience of someone who actually did it: is this tricky?
Which are the tips to do it "easily"?
The chrome bar is glued to the rear tail lights, correct?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like a good project for my Easter weekend in confinement...

Since the spider is in my quarter panel tail light, the applique removal is not needed. However, that is also where the charge port is...

I wonder if I can have this fixed under warranty...

Funny how many people report having a variant of this. I have it too one one of my tail lights. Going to watch this thread in case anyone reports a guide on how to get them out :-\

I didn't realize this is such a common thing. Never happened with any of my other previous cars.

Seems they used to cover this under warranty but not sure what the current situation is.

Not good for anyone who is OCD about the car :p

I wish the light assembly literally had a little plug that you can connect a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the bugs. If they can;t prevent bugs from getting in, a little nozzle to connect a vacuum home would solve the issue with dead bug carcasses.

Heck this can be part of annual service!

+ Check tires
+ Change air filter
+ Suck bugs

• Funny
Reactions: Messagepads
I am happy to report that I found a solution to getting the giant spider out of the tail light and it cost me just a few cents!

After two Ludicrous launches, the giant spider is gone! I kid you not. This is what the tail light looks like now.

Charger.JPG

I am happy to report that I found a solution to getting the giant spider out of the tail light and it cost me just a few cents!

After two Ludicrous launches, the giant spider is gone! I kid you not. This is what the tail light looks like now.

View attachment 534088

That's crazy! Where did the spider go? It looks like the Ludicrous launch just made it disappear.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
It probably got dry, shriveled and brittle after succumbing and its legs no longer adhered to the plastic. After a few launches, it became dislodged and thrown into the nether regions of that space, perhaps in smaller, unrecognizable pieces. :D