Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - sensors are haywire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning -
Car was working great until this AM when I noted the brights were on even though it was early daylight and cars were in right in front of me. Then noticed that when I got on the highway Autopilot and TACC were not available. Then noticed there were no cars around me on the display and blind spot monitoring wasn't functional. Then front sensors were sensing things 2 feet in front of me when there was nothing for more than 15-20 feet.

I tried resetting the tablet which didn't change anything.
I called customer service who suggested power cycling the car. I tried powering the car down through the safety and security tab on the display, waited a few minutes, then the car started itself up but nothing really improved.

I looked around on various forums and other people have had the same issue at times but pretty much all the ones I found had GPS issues also -- and my GPS seems to be fine.

Any ideas? Earliest service appt at Mt. Kisco is not for 10 days and I would really like to at least get the safety features working before then.

Good morning -
Car was working great until this AM when I noted the brights were on even though it was early daylight and cars were in right in front of me. Then noticed that when I got on the highway Autopilot and TACC were not available. Then noticed there were no cars around me on the display and blind spot monitoring wasn't functional. Then front sensors were sensing things 2 feet in front of me when there was nothing for more than 15-20 feet.

I tried resetting the tablet which didn't change anything.
I called customer service who suggested power cycling the car. I tried powering the car down through the safety and security tab on the display, waited a few minutes, then the car started itself up but nothing really improved.

I looked around on various forums and other people have had the same issue at times but pretty much all the ones I found had GPS issues also -- and my GPS seems to be fine.

Any ideas? Earliest service appt at Mt. Kisco is not for 10 days and I would really like to at least get the safety features working before then.
Maybe a systemic problem? No cruise or TACC for me this morning either.

dunno but seems strange that things like auto-brights and proximity/safety sensors would be a systemic issue since I would imagine all those things are controlled locally.

the last software update I did was about a week ago. Not sure.

well to answer my own question I talked to Tesla service and they said many other people have called in this AM about the same issue and they are working on a fix. Still seems weird that it would go out on a bunch of cars at once with what seems like something that should be local to each car. but what do i know.

Same issue for me this morning too. I didn't check the lights, but it was an annoying commute without even cruise control!

BTW, I can't be sure because I hadn't reached the highway yet, but at about 6:50am I think it was working. At least I was given the NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT button (which I pressed). But by the time I got to the highway about 5-10 minutes later and went to engage AP it was gone. Strange.

I'm on 42.3 and don' have EAP. But, I noticed this morning that the situational awareness display isn't showing lane lines or cars. Sounds like they pushed some bad code, maybe as part of the new autopilot trial.

In general I'm just very concerned about a central problem causing local issues in things that should be integral to the car's functioning - including safety features like proximity sensors, blind spot monitoring, etc.

My car was telling me there was an object 2 feet in front of me even though there was nothing there. Will that possibly result in an emergency stop by the vehicle while at highway speeds? Didn't happen this morning but it seems plausible that it could.

It could be a fault with one of the cameras (failed, bad wiring, loose connector, etc) or one of the radar units (there are two, one front, one rear) or even one of the parking sonar sensors. They can do a remote diagnostic to check for errors with the Autopilot sensors (and cameras) to determine what the problem is. When a component fails, all of the driver assist functions (cruise control, Autopilot, auto park and auto high beams) are turned off. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.