Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Using Tesla Maps Route Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning my first “road trip” in June. I’ve programmed a few sample destinations and I’m getting supercharger stops that are just too “tight” for my comfort level.

Is it possible to select the supercharger stops that are comfortable for me?

Thanks for the help :)

Unfortunately, there are no way point options in the trip planner. You basically have to make a SC you destination then start your next leg from there to the next SC or destination you want to go to.

I did figure out a little trick. Using goggle set up your trip including SC stops you want as a way point. then from your phone you can share to your Tesla each waypoint on that particular leg of your trip.

Other option is to make each leg a separate trip and share them to your Tesla then you can go into the recent tab in the navigation and select them as you travel.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
I use combination of evtripplanner.com and EVTO-Tesla app to plan my trips, evtripplanner is good but it would not allow you to add destination charger. EVTO-Tesla app lets you do both. I only use the in-vehicle Tesla navigation from stop to stop for monitoring energy used and remaining.

I’ve rarely experienced the in car route planner to be inaccurate. Apparently it takes several variables into account in real time. In turn, it’s proven more accurate than other online planners.

For example, I can use 380wh/mi traveling at 70mph at 50degrees, or 280wh/mi at 65degrees. The in car planner uses the temperature data as I’ve moved through different states at different temps. Wind too. I’ve been surprised at times when it’ll tell me to charge to 90% to travel say 150 miles. Just to realize back on the drive there’s a heavy headwind and low temps. Just saying... in car route planner has proven very accurate.

Of course I keep the in car energy destination graph up to better understand real time conditions.

I’ve rarely experienced the in car route planner to be inaccurate. Apparently it takes several variables into account in real time. In turn, it’s proven more accurate than other online planners.

For example, I can use 380wh/mi traveling at 70mph at 50degrees, or 280wh/mi at 65degrees. The in car planner uses the temperature data as I’ve moved through different states at different temps. Wind too. I’ve been surprised at times when it’ll tell me to charge to 90% to travel say 150 miles. Just to realize back on the drive there’s a heavy headwind and low temps. Just saying... in car route planner has proven very accurate.

Of course I keep the in car energy destination graph up to better understand real time conditions.

Hmmmmm, I’m not familiar with the in-car energy destination graph. How do I access that??

@Mike Robinson Just use the in-car navigation system! It's very accurate and the only case where you will have a difference in real mileage is in strong winds.
In any case, all superchargers are always shown on the map if you set it in "map" instead of "satellite" view. You will also notice that some of them are bright red, and some others are light red. The difference is that the brights ones are those reachable from your current position with your actual SoC (State of Charge), the light red ones are the un-reachable.
On top of that, the route calculation in-car is dynamic, meaning that it recalculates the route every few minutes based on the state of your charge and the traffic ahead. If for whatever reason it thinks the indicated supercharger is too far to reach, it will recalculate the route to another supercharger, or suggest a slower speed just to be on the safe side.
Be confident, it works!

@Mike Robinson Just use the in-car navigation system! It's very accurate and the only case where you will have a difference in real mileage is in strong winds.
In any case, all superchargers are always shown on the map if you set it in "map" instead of "satellite" view. You will also notice that some of them are bright red, and some others are light red. The difference is that the brights ones are those reachable from your current position with your actual SoC (State of Charge), the light red ones are the un-reachable.
On top of that, the route calculation in-car is dynamic, meaning that it recalculates the route every few minutes based on the state of your charge and the traffic ahead. If for whatever reason it thinks the indicated supercharger is too far to reach, it will recalculate the route to another supercharger, or suggest a slower speed just to be on the safe side.
Be confident, it works!

I generally agree for any sort of trip that requires at most one charging stop. Plug in the destination and go.

For longer trips though (for example I’m planning a ~2,000 mile trip from northern CA through the desert southwest) ABRP or the like are fantastic tools that can save you significant time. The Tesla routing algorithm seems to prefer fewer stops with longer charges to reach a destination, which can end up slowing you down significantly. Plus the ability to add waypoints, etc...

On big trips like that I usually plan it all out on ABRP, print it out, then use the car nav to point to the immediate next destination (next supercharger or waypoint) vs. my final destination.

New to Tesla and I just bought the car but it seems silly that there's no function to add waypoints. During my 1200 mile roadtrip back after purchasing the car, I found the in car nav to be reasonable but for some stops I just charged for an extra few minutes to give myself a buffer. The nav does show estimated SOC upon arrival at the next SC and I usually aimed for 15%. Then again, I wasn't in a big rush so perhaps ABRP would have made the SC stops more efficient.

Be confident, it works!

Very helpful, thanks. So, if I’m navigating a route, can I click on one of those “other” chargers to add it to my route? Also, can I specify a SoC minimum for my trip?