Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with faulty/dangerous new Tesla Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'm new to the thread but was hoping someone would have some insight on my issues. I picked up my new Tesla 2 weeks ago, and ON THE DRIVE HOME ON THE HIGHWAY, all of a sudden I had 7 simultaneous errors and the automated/assisted brakes/steering/tracion control all went out at once. I was able to muscle the car home and get it to the shop the next day with 10 miles on the odometer.

Car was in shop for 8 days and they said they changed out a faulty tire sensor replaced the entire computer in the car. They claimed they test drove the car and everything was good to go. I picked it up today and less than a mile down the road while coming to a stop, everything malfunctioned again and this time car shook temporarily making it a bit difficult to stop as I believe it was disabling the automated breaking while I was slowing down to manual breaking. This incident was more alarming as had I needed to stop faster I would have wrecked. I turned it around yet again and took it back to service center, this time much more deflated after the service guy made the comment that he wasnt sure why this happend or what was going on.

Now I have driven the car a grand total of about 3 miles with two seemingly alarming incidents. I have 3 young kids and am hoping to really just get a different car as I don't have much faith they know what the issue is at my service place. Would you feel good about letting them "fix" it again. I feel like I've lost piece of mind and really just want a different model Y or rebuild a new one. I don't think they exchange these things, but does anyone have any insight on the right path here?

Thanks

I personally would be comfortable.

You can escalated this and return / exchange the car. You might even have lemon law in your area.

While something of this level isn't common it's not unheard of either.

I would feel comfortable getting the fix as it's shaking out all the bugs. Once they get it resolved your less likely to have (as many) issues down the road, no pun intended. It's also possible they might just refund / exchange if you give them time. There is also a legal expectation to fix the issue and they are already on their 2nd attempt so I would let it go through. It also sounds like you're happy with the car otherwise as you make no complaints about anything else being wrong. If you start over you might have paint or body issues on the next one and might take even more time / more stress.

Likewise if you start escalation for return / refund / lemon now it's somewhat presumptive. They are allowed a reasonable expectation to fix. If you force the matter it's going to be hours and hours with emails, phone calls, etc. This to me would add even more stress to your life.

I understand the unshakable confidence and am sorry. But we've all been there for one reason or another at one time with our Tesla's. It's early and your (rightfully) shaken up. Let them deal with it, take it to another service service even if not close. Deal with a higher supervisor. Try the 800 number. But for NOW just let them try again, 3 times I think is the precedence. Try and breath and focus elsewhere for the time being.

There is enough stress in your life with other things I'm sure with the world the way it is. Let this be Tesla's problem for now. Make sure they ROAD TEST it on the street and highway before they have you pick it up. Try and get stuff on video when driving if possible. At least photos.

Let me know if you need anything else or have questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
Once you loose confidence like that, it's really hard to gain it back. I would see if they will exchange (buy it back) it for a new one. Lemon law takes some time to go into effect, if you're willing to wait that long you could use that instead, but that wouldn't be my first option. I have two kids in the car most days, and I feel your pain, wouldn't want to feel as if I'm putting their lives at risk.

If I was you I would have returned used the 7 day return period if there was any issue like that on the drive home. Just no way would I even thought about a repair if there was any issue in the first 7 days.

I would push for them to refund and or exchange the car. If they refuse get a lawyer and your money back.

Yes, I would argue that the seven-day return window DOES apply since you've only actually had the car in YOUR hands for such a small number of days (three or four)?

Otherwise, I'd let them fix it one more time and then it had better be fixed for good, or it's going back to them and you'll be well within your rights to ask for another.