Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help with powerwall tou settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I would like to export all solar energy between 4-9PM. So only powerwall, no solar, no grid between 4-9PM for me. After 9PM until 8AM I want to last on the powerwall as much as I can. After 8AM until 4PM I can use grid. Suggestions on how I should set this up please. Thank you

Hi, I would like to export all solar energy between 4-9PM. So only powerwall, no solar, no grid between 4-9PM for me. After 9PM until 8AM I want to last on the powerwall as much as I can. After 8AM until 4PM I can use grid. Suggestions on how I should set this up please. Thank you
It sounds like what you want is the normal operation in the Time Based Control mode. If you have a new installation, it might not be enabled yet. It will show up within a week of full commissioning.

Here is now my system is set up in the app.

Powerwall Customize Screen.jpg

Powerwall Schedule Weekday.jpg
Powerwall Schedule Weekend.jpg

This gives a typical weekend result like this:

2019-10-05.jpg

You will notice that the car charging overnight uses grid power, the Powerwalls charge from solar, then the Powerwalls power the house and let all the solar export during Peak hours. The Powerwalls will not export direct to the grid to earn extra NEM credits during Peak. That would only be allowed with a utility coordinated demand response or virtual power plant program. As far as I know, those things do not exist yet in California.

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
First, in order for you to claim the 30% federal tax credit, your Powerwall can only charge from solar power. The only exception is for storm watch mode.

The only time you can export solar is the "instant" it is produced. How much is exported depends on the mode you are in, the state of the battery, and the household loads covered. Currently you can not export solar power in the evening as the battery is programmed to only cover household loads at that time.

To maximize savings, use the Advanced - Time-based control and set it to cost savings. Form other posts, you are on SCE TOU-D-4-9PM. I suggest adjusting your peak and off-peak times to match. If you want to encorage the Powerwall to cover other times (9 PM until 8 AM), set part-peak for that time.

Alright thanks, running on balanced with the following timings for SCE TOU-D-4-9PM:
I don't think you have it set up right. You have the Off-Peak from 8am-4pm and Part-Peak from 9pm-8am. The SCE web site is redirecting to a temporary site about the PSPS so I can't verify the actual schedule. I think you need to wrap the Off-Peak around so it's during the overnight hours. I think it should look like my Weekend with only Peak and Off-Peak with no gray area.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I don't think you have it set up right. You have the Off-Peak from 8am-4pm and Part-Peak from 9pm-8am. The SCE web site is redirecting to a temporary site about the PSPS so I can't verify the actual schedule. I think you need to wrap the Off-Peak around so it's during the overnight hours. I think it should look like my Weekend with only Peak and Off-Peak with no gray area.

The SCE TOU-D-4-9PM schedule has a Super Off-Peak rate in the winter with $0.17/KWH. Looks like troptop set it correctly.

Capture.JPG

The SCE TOU-D-4-9PM schedule has a Super Off-Peak rate in the winter with $0.17/KWH. Looks like troptop set it correctly.
Wow. That is really terrible for EV charging unless you're home between 8am and 4pm. I would seriously look to see if there is any other plan you can get on. This is about the worst case for solar customers. Of course, this is only Winter. You would have to consider Summer too since the utilities don't let you flip-flop back and forth by season.

Wow. That is really terrible for EV charging unless you're home between 8am and 4pm. I would seriously look to see if there is any other plan you can get on. This is about the worst case for solar customers. Of course, this is only Winter. You would have to consider Summer too since the utilities don't let you flip-flop back and forth by season.

Yeah its pretty terrible, they do have a TOU-D-PRIME rate for ev owners, I think that rate is even worse for me though because there is a daily $0.4 charge and then either $0.13 (summer) or $0.12 (winter) rates. With TOU-D-4-9PM you get a baseline credit every month, for me it appears to be around 350kWh at $0.07, which is $24.5 per month for winter months. Daily charge is only $0.03, and if you dont pull any power for that day an extra $0.35 daily charge. So even with charging an EV, which will obviously have to happen between hours of 0800-1600 I think I ll be better off with TOU-D-4-9PM. Rough approximations suggest I ll be better off by $500 on the 4-9PM plan. On PRIME I should be at -$500, on 4-9PM at -$1000, unless there are some hidden delivery or connection or other charges I am not considering.