Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi! Has anyone with the model Y has experience with snap sound like a rock hitting the windshield near the driver side front dash board.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a sound that resembles this relatively early in a ride, sometimes. I think it's related to heating / hvac as there's never a rock actually hitting the car. I've had that since forever. I'm assuming it's a flap that's closing or something like that. I think mine sounds more from the passenger side but not sure from memory.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I have a sound that resembles this relatively early in a ride, sometimes. I think it's related to heating / hvac as there's never a rock actually hitting the car. I've had that since forever. I'm assuming it's a flap that's closing or something like that. I think mine sounds more from the passenger side but not sure from memory.
Sometimes during the ride, when park in the heat and drive for a little bit! I went to Tesla service and tested drive with the tech but didn’t hear noise! Have you done anything to it?

Yes, first time I thought rock hit windshield. Has done it several times and each time with sun on the windshield. Sun on windshield not that common since I live in Washington. Do not believe it has ever happened when not in the sun. No longer concerned if doesn't morph into something else.

I had some vibrations in my steering wheel while parked and Tesla swapped out the supermanifold and a compressor after some inspection. Steering wheel vibrations is gone. However... after the repair i started hearing these LOUD snaps like a rock hitting the window every once a while (ranging from 10 sec to 2 min intervals). I was clearly alone on the road and i could even hear it while parked sometimes. I did not manage to record it with a few attempts because it was so random and even harder to reproduce while parked.

It have for now stopped entirely after a week. And ofcourse i managed to book a session with Tesla and the issue was gone. Hopefully it did not damage any components..