Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock Chips Lower Front Driver Side Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed a rock chip on lower portion of the driver’s side door. I don’t have mud flaps installed, but having a hard time figuring out how a rock from my own tire could have hit there. Anyone else experience this area getting hit without mud flaps or do you think something else hit it and mud flaps wouldn’t really have helped. I have no other chips in places I would have thought much more likely to have been hit. But I’m thinking of ordering the Tesla Mud Flaps just to be safe. Which is my other question, if the Tesla Mud Flaps are worth it for gravel roads and will they provide protection.

So I noticed a rock chip on lower portion of the driver’s side door. I don’t have mud flaps installed, but having a hard time figuring out how a rock from my own tire could have hit there. Anyone else experience this area getting hit without mud flaps or do you think something else hit it and mud flaps wouldn’t really have helped. I have no other chips in places I would have thought much more likely to have been hit. But I’m thinking of ordering the Tesla Mud Flaps just to be safe. Which is my other question, if the Tesla Mud Flaps are worth it for gravel roads and will they provide protection.
Because of the exact situation described above, Tesla chose finally to add front mud flaps for free for the Canadian sold cars. But they were/are so poorly designed, that I chose to replace them the moment I got my Tesla with these. And yes, I did a PPF protection to the rockers of my Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: 42M3 and zoomer0056
So I noticed a rock chip on lower portion of the driver’s side door.

It happens. Don't worry about it.
Give it time, you will get more.

I don’t have mud flaps installed, but having a hard time figuring out how a rock from my own tire could have hit there. Anyone else experience this area getting hit without mud flaps or do you think something else hit it and mud flaps wouldn’t really have helped.

Hard to say without pics.
Definitely maybe.

any mud flaps or ppl will do - just your preference

Tesla mud flaps - $40.
PPF - ~$500/panel.

Which is my other question, if the Tesla Mud Flaps are worth it for gravel roads and will they provide protection.
I installed it on my TM3P when after going with wider wheels and tires, and after finding design defect in Tesla wheel liner protection that exposes a sliver of rocker panel metal that gets pummeled with stones. Eventually, paint starts peeling off.
After repairs and Tesla mud flaps, the area is finally properly protected:
1694733902591.png

The lower portion of the front door is a high wear area….even with non-tesla generic mud guards. I had my car ppf‘d right after I took delivery and threw on the guards before the first winter. After the first winter I noticed some wear on the lower portions of both front doors. So I added some ppf to that part of the front doors….rear doors seem to be okay..even after 5 yrs/y9k miles.

If you’re worried about the lower front doors….you should be more worried about the front bumper and the area in front of the rear fender lol.