Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hifi Park Assist Nice, But Lacks Tone Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried the high fidelity park assist, and I'm disappointed in it. The display is fun and perhaps more accurate than the previous version, but there are still no warning tones for objects to the side of the car. That is, I can bring my sideview mirror to within an inch of the side of the garage door, and there is no audio alert.

The video below demonstrates this with the previous system, and nothing has changed (related to tones) with the new system.

Our USS car gives nice tones that let me know, without looking at anything, that I'm close but not too close to obstacles. Thus I don't have to look at two different things (rear camera and bird's-eye display). I can use my eyes and ears as a belt-and-suspenders approach.

For those who want to say "Hey, learn how to park, it's not that hard!": True, and I have no problem with parking in this or similar situations. But (1) doing so is more relaxing and takes less effort when the car does a better job of helping. And (2) my wife is spatially challenged and has trouble with this stuff, once resulting in $4,500 in body damage.

I used (I would say tested only few time) the previous park assist when doing a parallel parking.

The park assist did work flawlessly and I was quit impressed but
I became scared to hell when I used it because the it happened so fast
as the steering wheel started to turn left and right and after a quick bada bing bada boom the car was parked.

Honestly, few time I pressed the bake pedal to interrompt the self park
because I wanted to check if there would be no issues but as a result the park assist was cancelled.

- I which the driver could control the speed of the park assist, using maybe the accelerator or the little knob on the steering wheel.
- And also, I which that the park assist could be still processed after using the brake pedal after maybe confirming to do so on the screen.

Anyway, the major issue with Tesla is that the steering angle is not great and, unless there are a lot of space between cars when
doing a parallel parking, you need to perform many manoeuvers to park your car in a tiny parking spot compare to any other cars that I used.

Many drivers are surprised by the lack of deep steering and as a result often scrap their wheels on the side walk border!!!
So I don't let anyone driving my car if I know that they will have to park in the street doing a paralel parking.