Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A week with "High Fidelity Parking Assist"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd share some thoughts after using the new "High Fidelity Parking Assist". I'll just bullet / list them. This is from a Model Y without USS.

1. It's clearly not 100% baked, but shows potential
2. Never assume the front view is accurate to inches
3. There are situations where the front visualization is way off -- you need to use your brain to detect those.
4. It doesn't "engage" as quickly as I'd like. Yes, it engages when in reverse automatically. I'm referring to forward parking.
5. Sometimes it "engages" when it shouldn't
6. It is useful in situations where parking lots are very full, such as cars on both sides. You absolutely can see if your Tesla is parallel or angled or not centered in the spot
7. Similar, it's very good when there are parking lines. Like above, you absolutely can see if your Tesla is parallel or angled or not centered in the spot
8. IMHO, it's fun to play with, giving some insight into what the vehicle actually sees. But I can understand some think it looks like trash.

Overall, my conclusion is that it's better than the previous Tesla vision. The distance numbers vision given (front) were so questionable with Vision, it's better to not show them. You can better estimate the distance using "High Fidelity Parking Assist" and your brains understanding of the environment.

While I'm not betting it will get any better, I'll cross my fingers it does!

I did make a couple videos showing it in action ("examples"). If you haven't seen them, take a look if interested.

(Sorry for the audio, I did the audio voice over in a room close to where lots of holiday music was playing using AirPods -- I'm no professional!)

Thought I'd share some thoughts after using the new "High Fidelity Parking Assist". I'll just bullet / list them. This is from a Model Y without USS.

3. There are situations where the front visualization is way off -- you need to use your brain to detect those.
4. It doesn't "engage" as quickly as I'd like. Yes, it engages when in reverse automatically. I'm referring to forward parking.
6. It is useful in situations where parking lots are very full, such as cars on both sides. You absolutely can see if your Tesla is parallel or angled or not centered in the spot
7. Similar, it's very good when there are parking lines. Like above, you absolutely can see if your Tesla is parallel or angled or not centered in the spot
8. IMHO, it's fun to play with, giving some insight into what the vehicle actually sees. But I can understand some think it looks like trash.

Overall, my conclusion is that it's better than the previous Tesla vision. The distance numbers vision given (front) were so questionable with Vision, it's better to not show them. You can better estimate the distance using "High Fidelity Parking Assist" and your brains understanding of the environment.

I did make a couple videos showing it in action ("examples"). If you haven't seen them, take a look if interested.

(Sorry for the audio, I did the audio voice over in a room close to where lots of holiday music was playing using AirPods -- I'm no professional!)
Excellent post and videos!

Reactions: gmitano and altanev
I'd rather have the ultra sonic sensors back. But I love how Tesla calls the solution "High Fidelity", when it's actually just a garbled mess. It still can't see anything below the bumper that could have been there while the car was parked, like a child or animal. Unless Tesla gives us a bumper camera vision only will never be as good as the ultra sonic sensors were.

Thanks for the video. I wish they would just add a bumper camera

Reactions: Resist
From my perspective I think we need to give them time to refine the fit/finish for a proper evaluation. For those that recall the original release of FSDb while it kind of worked the image data was Really minimal and nowhere near where it evolved.
IMG_0628.jpeg

Reactions: rlsd
Great job on the vids!

My own experience...

I park my MYP on the left of a 2 car garage, my Harley (BIG bike with fairing, trunk, etc.) is in parallel on the right side. Before the update the Tesla showed the Harley as a car parked PERPENDICULAR to the Tesla, after the update the Harley is just a puffy cloud.

Good work Elon!

It isn't great, and has problems for sure. For one, the front distance estimate is still just as inaccurate as it was when it was just 2-D lines. You can't trust it any more than you did months ago. While I like the parking lines in the 3-D visuals, the structures surrounding the car are impossible to discern. By biggest problem is when backing up, you twist and turn the visuals, but it snaps back to 2-D only a second later, ruining the actual purpose of the 3-D design. Not helpful. I really hope they can fix the time-out problem and get better at representing the surrounding objects.

Again more reasons why Tesla should have never removed the ultra sonic sensors. It was an inexpensive system with decades of proven accuracy and reliability. And Tesla trying to reinvent the wheel with a 360 degree top down view that isn't even close to what's currently in other vehicles, is a waste of time and money. Their High Fidelity solution isn't "High Fidelity".

Again more reasons why Tesla should have never removed the ultra sonic sensors. It was an inexpensive system with decades of proven accuracy and reliability. And Tesla trying to reinvent the wheel with a 360 degree top down view that isn't even close to what's currently in other vehicles, is a waste of time and money. Their High Fidelity solution isn't "High Fidelity".
Agree some what however this is where we are and as a reminder this Is version 1.0 released less then a week ago so we can hate what they did or wait to see where it goes similar to FSDb early on which looked just as comical as high fidelity cloud.
IMG_0628.jpeg

Hopefully they would bring this to the USS vehicles soon, and use this to improve summon and smart summon.
Why? The USS are so much more accurate and a fuzzy display of the surroundings is still way behind what other vehicles get with a 360 degree top down camera view. Why is it so hard to Tesla to just give us a top down 360 camera view?!

Park Assist.

+1 Nice to be able to see the parking lines without having to turn on the cameras,
- 1 Cant see the front line and tire stop in the parking space. I really don't want to rip the front end of my car off by hitting a poorly installed parking block. Ultrasonic sensors in my 18MS knew when the frontend would strike the parking block and alert the danger. If the block was not tall enough to hit the front fascia, it did not give a false alert. Cant back into every spot though I wish I could.

I understand why there is no bumper camera on the car. My 16 audi had one, and it was $2500 to replace it if it was damaged. Camera behind windshield is much cheaper but far less effective.

I understand why there is no bumper camera on the car. My 16 audi had one, and it was $2500 to replace it if it was damaged. Camera behind windshield is much cheaper but far less effective.
That's no reason to not have front bumper camera nor do they cost that much. Your Audi bumper camera cost $2,500 because well it's an Audi and small cameras were expensive back in 2016. Tesla's definitely need a front bumper camera for parking. The Cybertruck has one with a sprayer to keep it clean but a front bumper camera also needs a replaceable clear cover to protect the camera lens from nicks/scratches due to road debris.

Excellent post and videos!
#6 Alignment/proximity are my main challenges. But my current PA-less Teslas don't show accurate enough visualizations to be counted on when manually parking to replace eyesight. However, summon once worked great, after a late movie, bringing it up to the curb from the distant space where i'd parked! (Hasn't worked since, tho!🥺).