Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Beams not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is about 3 weeks old, so this is the likely time of something electrical not working.

The auto dim high beams worked initially, and now the only way to turn on the high beams is to pull the stalk toward the driver and hold. When I push forward, I only get a grayed out icon on the screen. If I try to hold it forward, there is no click, and nothing changes. It's the same on all modes--on and auto.

Am I missing something obvious or is it service time?

Thanks,

Reid

When you have auto-high beams turned on and ready (grayed out headlight icon with an A in the status bar), several things need to happen before the high beams activate. I have found:

• It has to be dark - they don’t activate during day or dusk or just after sunset - it needs to be dark - you can’t even be near street lights - they activate out in the boonies, not in the city
  • You have to be moving - they don’t activate when you are parked or driving at just a couple mph. You need to be moving something like 20 mph for them to activate
  • The road ahead needs to be empty - any vehicles nearby or even signs along the side of the road will keep the high beams off - construction barricades along the road in my area temporarily disable the high beams

Reactions: tambam
Swaltner

Thanks so much. That's a big help, and a good reason why we were getting so frustrated. It sounds like auto high beams should be renamed to something like Boonie mode, the Sticks, or No Burb.
Not really
They work fine in most cases but you have to know what they’re supposed to do :D
They work by detecting bright objects in-front of the car, in which case they drop to low. In which case they’re working as designed.
Unfortunately (or fortunately ?) this is a tech car which requires a level of manual reading that most cars do not.
It really is a double edged sword that requires experimentation. I’ve just got the V9 upgrade and had no clue how to switch the games out of full screen mode. Being stuck in the car with Asteroids in full screen mode is a little odd :cool:
Off to read the V9 Manual now, good luck with your journey!