Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hows your adaptive high beam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive last night in the dark, on a very twisty road and I got the sense (it was hard to tell because of rain) that the lights weren’t blanking out fast enough to prevent dazzling oncoming and leading vehicles. Certainly the person in the Citroen coming the other way agreed as they flashed me, but that could just be as I was going around a left bend and the —|____ high left part of the dipped beams caught their eyes which has happened before prior to adaptive high beams.

Driving home this evening the sky was still bright, the hedge lined lanes were dark and i really needed high beam but it stayed on dipped.
The light sensor must be looking up rather than forward, had to pull the stalk back to keep high beam on until the sky got dark enough to keep high beam on.
On first impressions the Matrix function works well on open roads, bit slow to react on twisty lanes if a car suddenly appears round a bend. If your at a Tee junction joining a road by the time it reacts to the passing cars they have gone by so would have got full beam in the side windows. i guess you have to use your judgement and still use dipped when appropriate.

We’ll probably end up losing the functionality before some get the update at this rate!
Matrix headlights are an incredible safety feature IMO and should be standard on all cars in the future. I've been in a few different cars with them and it's literally night and day Vs regular headlights.

As they become more common, I've observed them coming at me from the other direction too. I've noticed that, while I'm not being blinded, the headlights look incredibly bright, like full beam is on, but just not directly at me.

I think we just need to get used to this. When we see glaring headlights from a distance for example, we expect them to dip the lights as they get closer...but they don't dip. They stay on but like I mention, they don't blind you. We're programmed to think, hey, dip your lights, idiot! But am I being blinded? Actually, no.

It's just something we need to get used to IMO.

Reactions: Obie
I’m liking the matrix lights. However, not everyone has 20/20 vision and eyes in perfect health. ‘Incredibly bright’ for some means ‘blinded’ for others. I’m not sure ‘just get used to it’ is the answer. A couple of people I know would scare the hell out of me if all oncoming cars had incredibly bright light. So, we could take x% of drivers off the road or we could ask manufacturers to consider the issue and devise a further technical solution.

Or we get drivers to slow down?

Last edited:
Reactions: adsheff
Matrix headlights are an incredible safety feature IMO and should be standard on all cars in the future. I've been in a few different cars with them and it's literally night and day Vs regular headlights.

As they become more common, I've observed them coming at me from the other direction too. I've noticed that, while I'm not being blinded, the headlights look incredibly bright, like full beam is on, but just not directly at me...
I agree - to a point.
Like all such technology they rely on being able to detect an oncoming vehicle and when that doesn't work they are insanely bright and literally left after-images on my retinas which is outright exceptionally dangerous ... and what about pedestrians, cyclists other road users and (wild) animals?
In many ways this is the Tesla struggle for FSD, 99% or 99.999%.

The technological pursuit of extremely bright high colour temp white led/laser headlights when we are all being told to drive ever slower is something of an oxymoron. Yes, they can have their benefits in some limited circumstances, but most of the time they are unnecessary and can be dangerous.

Great technology ... when it works, but I am concerned, as increasingly are regulators, about the fail-safes given the associated risks.

I agree - to a point.
Like all such technology they rely on being able to detect an oncoming vehicle and when that doesn't work they are insanely bright and literally left after-images on my retinas which is outright exceptionally dangerous ... and what about pedestrians, cyclists other road users and (wild) animals?
In many ways this is the Tesla struggle for FSD, 99% or 99.999%
The technological pursuit of extremely bright high colour temp white led/laser headlights when we are all being told to drive ever slower is something of an oxymoron. Yes, they can have their benefits in some limited circumstances, but most of the time they are unnecessary and can be dangerous.

Great technology ... when it works, but I am concerned, as increasingly are regulators, about the fail-safes given the associated risks.
Totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I think if they don't work as intended, they should be banned, until such time as the manufacturer can get them to work properly.

My post was based on the presumption that they actually work. And when they work properly, it appears that they are brighter than the other cars coming towards you, but they don't actually blind you.

Hard to explain but if you drive past a football stadium, the floodlights are incredibly bright to look at, but they don't blind you, as they're not shining in your direction. Same as matrix headlights (that are working properly)

I’m liking the matrix lights. However, not everyone has 20/20 vision and eyes in perfect health. ‘Incredibly bright’ for some means ‘blinded’ for others. I’m not sure ‘just get used to it’ is the answer. A couple of people I know would scare the hell out of me if all oncoming cars had incredibly bright light. So, we could take x% of drivers off the road or we could ask manufacturers to consider the issue and devise a further technical solution.

Or we get drivers to slow down?
That's not what I said though, as explained in my other post.

Had my 1st drive in the dark last night since the update to activate proper matrix functionality.

5 or 6 miles along twisting and undulating Sussex lanes.

I could see the lights doing what they do, but was also flashed by 3 oncoming cars...I probably only passed 10-12 on the whole drive, so something of a concern.

Do the adaptive lights work in dipped beam? I had a loaner the other day (my car is too old) and I'm sure I could see them moving around. That or the lights needed adjusting, definitely not ruling that out :D
Question gets asked a lot so I'll have a go as I understand it

Dipped is unchanged, and what you get if Auto high beam is turned off

If Dipped is badly calibrated, then it will still dazzle

Adaptive is like auto full beam, it will come on whenever it can if enabled, but rather than dip full beam completely when it sees something coming, it just dips the individual pixels/matrix elements it needs to to prevent dazzling whatever it's detected

Depending on whether it uses the cameras to feed back what it sees when dipped (which I doubt) , if the calibration is out then I guess it might not always dip the right elements, and it won't make any difference to a dipped element if that was previously dazzling someone.

Reactions: thrash and Durzel
TL;DR - I suspect the low beam alignment and adaptive high beams have little or no relevance to each other.
After driving on some truly dark roads and managed to fix the alignment issues I’m pretty sure the alignment does affect the high beam.
With the alignment pointed too far down I could see patches turning off on the road quite close to me when cars were some distance away. With the alignment fixed the pixels turning off lined up with other cars much better.

Reactions: M1tch
They seem to work well.

Anyone know why the car was built with this hardware but only now has had it activated? It's not like it's a new software invention - other cars have already had it.

One problem I can see is that, when driving through a village etc, it's common to dip your headlights despite there being no other traffic, because the glare inside people's homes is obnoxious. The Tesla system doesn't seem to darken houses to the sides, so are we just creating a generation of rude drivers?

It was illegal in the US and tesla don't develop features that aren't available in the home country.. so they just left them unactivated for years.

You can still switch to dipped beam manually.. no matrix system will be able to cope with unlit houses. It does seem reasonably good at handling streetlights now (the first iteration wasn't so great but they seemed to fix that quickly).

Reactions: browellm and Durzel
I believe a number of companies offer a total/turnkey solutions to the adaptive headlights, but Tesla would prefer to reuse the sensors they have so the cameras they use for AP need to do this and thats not so easy to embed in bopught in logic, not that Tesla would want to buy in the feature. You also need to have developed the software which they hadn't at the time they introduced the lights 2 or more years ago but we should rejoice because Tesla added hardware before they could make the most of it and its now a welcome feature, the usual Tesla approach is to remove hardware before they have the software to address the hardware loss, so in this case it was good planning.

I think there are a couple of issues, I know some debate which they prefer and I think there might be regulations on the topic, one is turnng off in built up areas where there is street lighting, relying on overall brightness which is how Tesla seems to work isn't really valid because the point about street lights is they can light up a whole road sufficiently to see, it doesn't need to be daylight. The second is not turning on headlights when its raining. Fog might be another issue but I've never owned a car thats been able to deal with fog correctly.