Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All model 3 awd’s whine. Some software updates make it worse.
In my opinion they’ve replaced drive units unnecessarily in some cases.

Just because it whines, doesn’t mean you need a new drive unit.
I once was concerned that I did. Then a software update reduced the whine substantially. It comes and goes with updates.
In my opinion.
Hi..I'm new here with the same problem. I see you're from Kitchener which is where my service centre is. I have an upcoming appointment concerning this noise. Have you been there to present this problem?

Hi..I'm new here with the same problem. I see you're from Kitchener which is where my service centre is. I have an upcoming appointment concerning this noise. Have you been there to present this problem?

I did bring it in, and asked about it once.
Around the same time a software update reduced the noise substantially.
It really hasn’t been an issue since, so I kind of never followed up.
It whines when heating up. I think that’s why so many Canadian seem to have more whine.
We’re colder here. :)

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Ok, so after suffering with this high pitched whine in my LR RWD for over a year (Started after a service centre appointment That also coincided with the range boosting software update), and after being told That it is “normal” by the Toronto Oakville service centre, I accepted it. But then got a second 3, an SR+ which did not make that noise at all. My LR RWD was due for the 2 year maintenance appointment, so I set it up at the Kitchener sc. included mention of the whine to see if they can check it out. Just got my car back after the 2 year maintenance check, and the noise is GONE! I am so impressed. I have to say I was not expecting much to be resolved, but the guys at the Kitchener sc are amazing. Had them come out for a few mobile service things, and it’s the same few people that work at the service centre. Great group! Not only has my car gone back to its quiet bliss, but what’s more, I came home and plugged in the car to find the app is now estimating a 420km range at 90% and a 520 range at 100%. My car came with an original range of like 498 then got bumped many months later via software update, but the most I ever saw in range was like 517km. And even that had gone down to around 500km Lately. So not only did getting my car’s 2 year maintenance done lead to a fix for the annoying whine, it somehow drastically improved my range! I can look up what was done to fix the whine for anyone interested. I know there’s lots of confusion about this noise, as all the cars make a very subtle but fairly pleasant/unobtrusive whine with acceleration, but mine made a much higher pitched noise with acceleration, regen, and certain speeds (eg 60-70km/h). It’s gone! The service paperwork showed they did replace some belt or something. If anyone wants to know so they might be able to fix their issue, I can look it up exactly. I wish there was A way to pass on to Tesla headquarters how awesome the Kitchener group is (and by extension that they might want to re evaluate some of the people at the Oakville service centre. Had some incompetent appointments, and outright lies come from Oakville).

Did they say how they resolved it?

Ok, so after suffering with this high pitched whine in my LR RWD for over a year (Started after a service centre appointment That also coincided with the range boosting software update), and after being told That it is “normal” by the Toronto Oakville service centre, I accepted it. But then got a second 3, an SR+ which did not make that noise at all. My LR RWD was due for the 2 year maintenance appointment, so I set it up at the Kitchener sc. included mention of the whine to see if they can check it out. Just got my car back after the 2 year maintenance check, and the noise is GONE! I am so impressed. I have to say I was not expecting much to be resolved, but the guys at the Kitchener sc are amazing. Had them come out for a few mobile service things, and it’s the same few people that work at the service centre. Great group! Not only has my car gone back to its quiet bliss, but what’s more, I came home and plugged in the car to find the app is now estimating a 420km range at 90% and a 520 range at 100%. My car came with an original range of like 498 then got bumped many months later via software update, but the most I ever saw in range was like 517km. And even that had gone down to around 500km Lately. So not only did getting my car’s 2 year maintenance done lead to a fix for the annoying whine, it somehow drastically improved my range! I can look up what was done to fix the whine for anyone interested. I know there’s lots of confusion about this noise, as all the cars make a very subtle but fairly pleasant/unobtrusive whine with acceleration, but mine made a much higher pitched noise with acceleration, regen, and certain speeds (eg 60-70km/h). It’s gone! The service paperwork showed they did replace some belt or something. If anyone wants to know so they might be able to fix their issue, I can look it up exactly. I wish there was A way to pass on to Tesla headquarters how awesome the Kitchener group is (and by extension that they might want to re evaluate some of the people at the Oakville service centre. Had some incompetent appointments, and outright lies come from Oakville).

I don't get it... it's an electric motor, isn't it supposed to make some noise? Especially those of us with dual motor - there are two of them, so one would think you'd definitely hear some sort of motor noise under stress. :confused:

I hear whining coming from the motor(s) all the time but I wouldn't consider it a problem, unless it was something clearly out of the ordinary like a clunking or grinding noise. It's not powered by a gravity warp drive, so it's not going to be 100% silent.

I don't get it... it's an electric motor, isn't it supposed to make some noise? Especially those of us with dual motor - there are two of them, so one would think you'd definitely hear some sort of motor noise under stress. :confused:

I hear whining coming from the motor(s) all the time but I wouldn't consider it a problem, unless it was something clearly out of the ordinary like a clunking or grinding noise. It's not powered by a gravity warp drive, so it's not going to be 100% silent.

The noise being described here is a high-pitched almost beeping like noise (from the videos I've heard) that occurs when cruising at certain speeds. Listen to some of the videos posted. That noise isn't normal when compared to other cars. I don't hear anything like
that when cruising. The road noise drowns out the motor completely. When accelerating, the motors can be heard, but that's normal.

• Informative
Reactions: Siciliano and Dante
I think it’s hard to explain to those who have not had to deal with the unpleasant whine. The ‘regular’ Happy Tesla whine is similar to the intro noise that used to be played on the “model 3 owners club” videos from a year or two ago before they rebranded. I thought it was a neat noise before I got my car and recognized it as the subtle, and maybe even pleasant sound of the motor accelerating. But it is quiet, and not unpleasant. If you have music playing, even on a low level, you probably can’t hear it at all. That is normal. What I had was a much higher pitched and fairly unpleasant whine. You could hear it over loud music playing. Some days it was even louder, other days it was not as loud. Even at its loudest, it is very difficult to capture on video recordings. Some people have had fancy audio analysis to point out the pitch of the noise. But when your 70 year old parents who probably need hearing aids can hear the whine and ask you what that noise is, it’s not normal and is not the “usual” noise these cars make. And I think mine has finally been fixed, so I can say even more confidently that it is fixable, and not “within spec”. I even believe someone had a similar thread from Toronto who had the SC there add extra insulation to try and damp out the noise, and eventually gave up on it. I don’t know if it’s the same noise I had, but I thought I’d share because it seems like many people have whine issues, and if they are the same one I was having, there is a solution.

Reactions: Char
The rear drive unit’s ground strap was replaced.

I don’t know What that means, but that’s what my invoice said was done to fix the noise. And the noise has been fixed!

If this solves the problem I will be thrilled. I booked an apt at the kitchener service just now and can't wait to see if they do something to fix it this time.

There are two distinct sounds:
1) spreding up and slowing down motor. I expect this. It is more of a whir than a whine. I imagine this as coming from the mechanical motion and bearings. I can live with this; it almost sounds like a futuristic car sound.

2) a whine... it can be persitant, or beeping/pulsing. This often happens at neutral power or with slight slowing or accelerating. This sounds more electrical to me. It's higher pitched. I want this solved.

Reactions: Dante
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary...
That's the idea... it's the NORMAL noise the car makes when accelerating more aggressively. The noise I was complaining about is NOT what is in the intro of the video. But some people might be confusing this pleasant acceleration noise with the unpleasant whine that some cars have for various reasons, which mine has been fixed! Still makes the noise linked in this video, but that is normal. If you just can't hear anything at all... well... I guess that's ok also?

That's the idea... it's the NORMAL noise the car makes when accelerating more aggressively. The noise I was complaining about is NOT what is in the intro of the video. But some people might be confusing this pleasant acceleration noise with the unpleasant whine that some cars have for various reasons, which mine has been fixed! Still makes the noise linked in this video, but that is normal. If you just can't hear anything at all... well... I guess that's ok also?

It's funny because I'll have to eat my words on this one. :oops: I'm very new to the car (2 weeks) and just last night we were going to dinner and it was the first time since I've picked up the car that I've driven more than 30 minutes at a time lol I've only been commuting back and forth to my business which is about 10 miles away.

Anyway, about halfway to the restaurant we noticed a whining sound which did seem a little louder than "normal". It wasn't just on hard acceleration, it was pretty constant. It was loud enough that my wife noticed it and asked if the whining was normal.

I don't think I ever noticed it because when I'm in the car by myself I usually have the music pretty loud, and on this trip we were just talking and had the music low. Now I wish I just knew what is "normal" so I don't have to worry about it! :confused:

Is it not supposed to make any whining noise at all under normal driving conditions while not accelerating hard?? If that's the case I'll have to get it checked out...

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
It's funny because I'll have to eat my words on this one. :oops: I'm very new to the car (2 weeks) and just last night we were going to dinner and it was the first time since I've picked up the car that I've driven more than 30 minutes at a time lol I've only been commuting back and forth to my business which is about 10 miles away.

Anyway, about halfway to the restaurant we noticed a whining sound which did seem a little louder than "normal". It wasn't just on hard acceleration, it was pretty constant. It was loud enough that my wife noticed it and asked if the whining was normal.

I don't think I ever noticed it because when I'm in the car by myself I usually have the music pretty loud, and on this trip we were just talking and had the music low. Now I wish I just knew what is "normal" so I don't have to worry about it! :confused:

Is it not supposed to make any whining noise at all under normal driving conditions while not accelerating hard?? If that's the case I'll have to get it checked out...
Tesla will says it's normal and within spec. Any normal person will say it's obnoxious and should be corrected.

Tesla will says it's normal and within spec. Any normal person will say it's obnoxious and should be corrected.
Well, I would venture to say that whichever Tesla location you are going to that claims it is within spec is not being honest with you, or not understanding what you're complaining about (if it is the same problem I've been having). Tesla Oakville didn't even listen and told me it is normal; Tesla Kitchener fixed it without me even seeing them in person due to the COVID precautions. It's hard to judge, as everyone perceives sounds differently, the car DOES make a "normal" but 'pleasant' whine, and it is difficult to capture the loud/bad whine clearly with video recording (all the recordings I've tried to make, or listened to online make the noise sound VERY quiet/barely noticeable, despite it being quite loud in person). Both my LR RWD and SR+ are now as quiet as the day I got them. I'm paying it forward because there are lots of things I learned on this forum, and if I can help a few people pinpoint their problem and the solution, I'm happy to contribute to the community! The video posted in this thread reproduces the problem I was having, but you have to turn your volume up, and know what you're listening for to hear it. The electrical almost beep-whine has been fixed for me, but the awesome futuristic acceleration hum is still there (as it should be!).