Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched sounds from drive unit 35-50 MPH

Deisic

Mar 3, 2020
Slc
I love my car. I bought it a few months ago used. And am very happy with it so far.

However I have had a high pitched noise coming from drive units while driving 30ish to 50ish mph. It cycles up and gets a bit louder when regen. I know the car makes some noise. But I do not hear it in other models i've test driven, rented, or had as a loaner. My 2018 75D (26k miles) seems to have an issue that others do not have. I did take it in for service and the tech heard nothing, but he also didnt hear the clunking sounds from my half shafts. I was charged a diag fee for my complaint.

Anyone know if this is a common issue? I've seen other posts that are similar in nature, mostly from model 3's.

bktiger86

Sep 3, 2016
West Covina, CA
I have heard a high pitch noise in my 2017 Model S before but its hard to pinpoint it. It comes and goes. Sometimes for weeks I don't hear it. But you're right, it is usually within 25-40 mph.

Deisic

Mar 3, 2020
Slc
Mine was doing exactly that last fall/winter and they replaced the drive unit.
How did you get them to discover it?
I have heard a high pitch noise in my 2017 Model S before but its hard to pinpoint it. It comes and goes. Sometimes for weeks I don't hear it. But you're right, it is usually within 25-40 mph.
man! I wish mine would go away. Sucks driving at city street speeds

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC