Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise around 50 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Model Y Long Range makes a high pitched noise around 50 MPH. It sounds like a failing bearing.
The noise is within the range of 8k-10k Hz with 30dB gain. See the attached snapshot of a recording on GarageBand.

Here is a 20s video demonstrating the noise on audio analyzer: 2024-01-12 20second video.mov
The noise starts around the 8th second. Notice the spike in intensities around the 8k-10k range.

Tesla says this is a normal operating sound, even though it is not one of the noises they have under their Normal Operating Sounds list: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-AA58ED67-9C93-4EE6-8B19-9FDABE018787.html.

Does your Model Y make a similar sound as well?

Attachments

• 30dB gain screenshot.png
    30dB gain screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
I have the exact same issue. 2023 Model Y, Fremont production around May 2023. It was delivered in June 2023.

The sound occurs just slightly below and above 50mph, with the most consistent noise occurring at exactly 50mph. It can be observed coming from the front-driverside of the car. It’s been a constant source of intrigue for me:

Here’s what I feel as if I may have ruled out so far:

1. It’s not being caused by wind. No amount of head wind or tail wind changes it.

2. It doesn’t behave like a failing bearing noise; bearing failure gets louder as the speed is increased.

I believe the noise’s cause to be a resonance, as it only occurs at a very specific vehicle speed. The way I explained it to the Tesla tech was, “It sounds like you put washer on a bolt, held it horizontally, and shook the bolt”. For kicks, I have tried removing the wheels covers and rotating tires, neither produced a change. I inspected the brake rotor dust shields and checked the mounting bolts to be sure they were not loose.

The noise is similar to the loose ground strap that plaqued the Model 3, but distinctly different. I’ve not been brave enough to check that yet, but I’m just about ready to remove the plastic cover in the frunk and inspect the area for anything loose. If that doesn’t produce a results, I will resort to attaching my phone in different positions while recording to see if I can narrow down the general area or part the sound is coming from.

I’ve seen a few others complaining about the sound. They went back and forth with Tesla until the drive motor was replaced. This sometimes fixes it, at least based on the later reports from those complaining about the issue initially; some reported back that the noise is still there or even that a third motor was required.

Something to note about that - I’m NOT saying it’s NOT the motor, but I don’t want to assume that it is the motor. There are likely two dozen or more components, pieces, and likely way more bolts that need to be removed to be able to remove the motor. During the process of a swap, it’s very likely that something that may have not been torqued down correctly at the factory may finally get tightened.

If it’s the motor, it’s the motor, but I want be sure before I walk in there and ask them to replace it. More importantly, if it’s not the motor, I won’t be as concerned about it - and if it’s not the motor, perhaps it’s something that people can adjust/tighten down with very little effort and avoid a trip to the service center.

I brought it up while I had my car in for another issue. The service team seemed completely unaware of this issue/sound, but were willing to look into it. The tech was eager to see a YouTube video with the sound and even went out on a drive with me. Unfortunately, our service center is on the bumpy roads of New Orleans, making it difficult to get the car up to 50mph or even hear the noise at all.

The tech offered to look further into the issue, but I was told they would need to keep the car for a while to figure it out. I declined at the time, seeing it as only a minor issue.

I’m currently at 14k. I can’t say it’s any more noticeable. This again really makes me think it’s not a bearing. Not only is the noise not a typical beating noise, but bearing issues should degrade very quickly. I’ve got a trip planned next month, so I’ll be interested to see if the noise is impacted by a road trip.

Reactions: cwhite51
Look up the thread “What is this high pitch cricket like noise?”
Thanks. I made it halfway through that thread. I’ll probably read the rest another day lol. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.

Has there been any indication from service center employees that Tesla is taking this seriously? I read about the “investigation”, but that was like a year ago if I remember the dates correctly.

Also, has anyone been able to correlate the noise to a failure?