Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Prices on eBay -- I Don't Understand, and My Heart is Weak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Working Subtitle: What Part of “Check the Tesla.com Website” Do You Not Understand?

First off, I grasp the basic concepts of "whatever the market will bear" and "supply and demand." Really. Yet I admittedly shook my head incredulously at prices being asked--sometimes successfully--for "genuine" Elon-Musk-signed black wall connectors apparently targeting consumers with too much readily-available income.

But, hey, these devices are (relatively) rare, I guess. At last count only 1,256,711 were ever produced. (I heard that a small Tesla factory was hastily erected in the Gobi desert--while tons and tons of dusty old fossils were pulverized under the treads of massive Caterpillar earth-movers--and then just as speedily dismantled after the limited-edition flash-mob assembly run was completed.) Someday, these signed WCs will be true collector’s items. (Yeah, right. Uh, huh.)

Granted, they do increase property values (and make your morning Cappuccino). And if mundane "silver" clashes with your decor, I totally understand. Besides, who knew when and if the often "Sold Out" stylish black wall connectors would be available on the Tesla website again? (Or if the dedicated EM-signature robot would be side-lined with a mandatory factory recall?) Not me.

In truth, as of this writing (1/19/20) the black WCs appear to be gone for good. (There is no longer even a “Sold Out” message entry on the website. Bah, humbug! and good riddance, I say. On the other hand, perhaps the prescient people who snapped them up will be the one’s laughing? Time will tell.)

So enjoy your “tagged,” special-edition wall connector for $1,499.99 with my blessings. No, really, man. I’m being honest here. Seriously, sincerely honest. (Cough, cough. Chest t-i-g-h-t-e-n-i-n-g! Must,...remain,...calm!)
Tesla Wall Connector - eBay vs. Tesla Prices

But what the fork!?* A man has to draw a line in the granulized silicon-dioxide somewhere.
(* From NBC’s "The Good Place.")
  • Regular (silver) Tesla wall connectors for $800!
  • Standard Tesla Gen2 14-50 plug adapters for $150!
  • "Authentic" Tesla J1772 adapters for $170!
Is there no factory charging device that nefarious eBay sellers won’t try to gouge panicky new Tesla drivers with? Is this the grown-up equivalent of selling freshmen a “radiator key” at boarding school?

Granted, sometimes they temporarily run out, but…(and here comes the rant; wait,...for,...it,…)

THESE THINGS ARE NORMALLY FOR SALE FOR FAR LESS
ON THE TESLA WEBSITE, PEOPLE!!!

So what is this all about? What's wrong with buying mobile connector adapters for just $35 directly from Tesla?
Tesla NEMA Adapter - eBay vs. Tesla Prices
Do buyers somehow feel guilty about paying only $450 for a Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter (whatever the heck that is), such that they would willingly add another 300 smackaroos on top of that?
Tesla CHAdeMO - eBay vs. Tesla Prices
Does paying two or three times the retail price somehow make car charging GO FASTER?

Or is it that Tesla deliveries are made by scary little multi-blade drones? Tesla Delivery Drone Or maybe that eBay sellers promise delivery, in person, by Talulah Riley? (OK, so I could totally understand that.)

Talulah Riley in West World Season 1

But seriously; I’m old. I get easily confused. I just don’t understand.

Hey; wait just a minute!

Perhaps I am being overly rash with my sincere, well-meaning, but arguably harsh condemnation.

So, just to summarize, buyers out there actually WANT to pay $379 for a spare Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle (with authentically-anemic 120-volt plug adapter and haute couture lozenge-shaped bag)?
SOLD on eBay: Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle for $380

And let me get this straight; they really need an extra used J1772 adapter for $169
SOLD on eBay: Tesla SAE J1772 Adapter for $170

(Um, do you think they know these things actually come with a new car?)

So anyway, really? Yes? Well OK, no problem!

Just have them step right up to my virtual Tesla discount store. I’ll have their orders ready for them, lickety-split. (Pardon me,…just have to finish a quick transaction at Tesla.com. Um, card number,…ye-e-e-s; month and year,…uh, huh; security code,…got it.) So now, if they will just respond to my massive PayPal invoices…?

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

*****​

Seriously, folks. Check the Tesla | Charging website first, before spending too much on overly-inflated charging accessories.

Unfortunately, I am getting NO compensation of any kind from Tesla or anyone else for this message.

Last edited:
Any chance to avoid transacting with Tesla is worth a premium. I’ll take ebay/PayPal’s buyer protection over...whatever it is Tesla offers any day.

Also, Tesla doesn’t ship worldwide, so some people in other countries will be willing to pay a premium for that.

Some items, as you point out, are unavailable. That’s the supply and demand kicking in.

And last I checked, Tesla was not including adapters with new vehicles.

So there you go. Hope that helps you understand. US-centric views of global commerce are always...something. And usually come from older people.

• Disagree
Reactions: tps5352 and house9
Came out the DAY I won the auction

Ouch! Possible solutions:
  • Donate first hat to good charity. Claim full purchase price donation on 2020 income taxes (if you itemize). Buy second hat (@$25) for yourself. Feel better.

• Buy more additional hats @$25 apiece, so overall average hat price is lowered. Give hats away as presents to friends and relatives ('cause they are worth it). Buy $25 hat for yourself. Feel better.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Any chance to avoid transacting with Tesla is worth a premium. I’ll take ebay/PayPal’s buyer protection over...whatever it is Tesla offers any day.

So you’d rather give money to some random dude on the internet who’s clearly trying to rip someone off than to Tesla. Sure, whatever.

Also, you do know how Elon made his first millions, don’t you? Odd that you’d trust his first company, but not his current one.

I’ll grant you that if Tesla won’t ship to your region then you’re at the mercy of the eBay pirates but if Tesla does, I cannot fathom your logic. I’ve ordered about a dozen things from them over the internet, including a car, and all have been delivered without incident.

Working Subtitle: What Part of “Check the Tesla.com Website” Do You Not Understand?

All in good fun (albeit with an underlying message), but I did just learn that:
  • Tesla's sole Wall Connector option is now a Gen 3 device, in gloss white (supplanting black, silver, or signed-black versions)
  • 18-foot cable (not 24')
  • Maximum 48-amp circuit output (not 80a)
  • Maximum 60-amp circuit breaker required (not 100a CB)
  • Minimum #6-gauge house wiring required
  • Built-in GFI attributes
  • Wi-Fi capabilities
So, of course, this changes things. For those who want features associated with the Gen2 devices, the open market will of course determine prices.

But my scathing, witty comments concerning other charging accessories remain pertinent! (Until Tesla updates them. Ha, ha.)

So you’d rather give money to some random dude on the internet who’s clearly trying to rip someone off than to Tesla. Sure, whatever.

Also, you do know how Elon made his first millions, don’t you? Odd that you’d trust his first company, but not his current one.

I’ll grant you that if Tesla won’t ship to your region then you’re at the mercy of the eBay pirates but if Tesla does, I cannot fathom your logic. I’ve ordered about a dozen things from them over the internet, including a car, and all have been delivered without incident.
If you trust Tesla, you have not owned a Tesla long enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy and redi