Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflated UMC Adapter Prices on eBay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: What's the deal with people buying Mobile Connector adapters on eBay for significantly more than they cost if you buy them straight from Tesla? (And, yes, they are in stock on Tesla.com.)

Longer story:
I just bought a second Mobile Connector from Tesla to keep in my trunk, and it came with the usual NEMA 14-50 and 5-15 adapters included. I already have one of each of these adapters, so I was thinking I'd sell them on eBay. So I checked what they're selling for on eBay, and much to my surprise, they're selling for considerably more than if you buy them straight from Tesla.

The current prices from Tesla are $45 for the NEMA 14-50 adapter and $35 for the NEMA 5-15 adapter. (You pay sales tax on top of that, but shipping is free.) On eBay, I looked only at sold listings in the past few days, and 14-50 adapters are generally selling for $60-$80 (with one going for $100 w/ shipping), and 5-15 adapters are generally selling for ~$50.

So what's going on here? Are Tesla owners just so used to Tesla not having UMC adapters in stock that they don't even bother checking Tesla.com and instead they just go straight to eBay? Or do some people not even realize that Tesla sells these adapters on Tesla.com?

I'm happy to earn a few extra bucks selling these adapters, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Note: There is a UMC Gen 1 and UMC Gen 2. The Gen 1 is capable of charging at a higher rate (assuming specific conditions are met) and uses different adapters. These typically sell for more (much like the Gen 2 HPWC versus the newest Gen 3 HPWC for similar reasons) and I've seen them selling for much more in some cases.