Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland rear screen functionality ?'s and comparison to aftermarket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopeful a 2024 owner could share some knowledge.
I like the fact the 2024 model has a rear screen for kids but a few things are not clear to me on how much functionality there actually is.

Assuming one has premium connectivity in the car and no other device/wifi hotspot.
Can the back seat use Netflix/Youtube, etc... while the car is driving and what happens to the main screen when they do this?

Can you download things on USB to play on the rear screen ; MKV files? Or what type of formats will work?

Can the backseat select the audio to come out of all of the car's speakers? The back car speakers ; and then what do the front get? Or out of Bluetooth headphones when paired ; similarly what sound can I hear out of the front speakers as the driver?

Any sound lag if using the car speakers?

If the backseat passenger adjust the temp in the car does it change the front to that temp as well ; front driver or front passenger or what? I know the 2023 and prior model only had a left and right zone ; no back zone.

Does the screen turn on / off based on a backseat sensor? Or is that an option?

Mainly I am just confused if the rear screen is tapping into the car's connectivity or a separate device needing it's own wifi hotspot, etc...

Lastly, compared the the after market options that exist for the 2017-2023 cars ; does the Telsa one do things they are not capable of? I think those devices require one to have a wifi hotspot to use Netflix or similar while driving and do not tap into the car's premium connectivity connection.

Hopeful a 2024 owner could share some knowledge.
I like the fact the 2024 model has a rear screen for kids but a few things are not clear to me on how much functionality there actually is.

Assuming one has premium connectivity in the car and no other device/wifi hotspot.
Can the back seat use Netflix/Youtube, etc... while the car is driving and what happens to the main screen when they do this?

Can you download things on USB to play on the rear screen ; MKV files? Or what type of formats will work?

Can the backseat select the audio to come out of all of the car's speakers? The back car speakers ; and then what do the front get? Or out of Bluetooth headphones when paired ; similarly what sound can I hear out of the front speakers as the driver?

Any sound lag if using the car speakers?

If the backseat passenger adjust the temp in the car does it change the front to that temp as well ; front driver or front passenger or what? I know the 2023 and prior model only had a left and right zone ; no back zone.

Does the screen turn on / off based on a backseat sensor? Or is that an option?

Mainly I am just confused if the rear screen is tapping into the car's connectivity or a separate device needing it's own wifi hotspot, etc...

Lastly, compared the the after market options that exist for the 2017-2023 cars ; does the Telsa one do things they are not capable of? I think those devices require one to have a wifi hotspot to use Netflix or similar while driving and do not tap into the car's premium connectivity connection.
Rear screen is on when driving, front screen will black out the video to prevent distraction. You probably wouldn't want the blanked out app blocking the map when driving anyway.

I don't think you can play video off a USB stick.

You can select Front or Rear as the audio source but I think all speakers have to play the same output.

No noticeable lag.

Front and Rear temp zones are independent.

I think a new software update will turn off the screen if no one is back there, not sure what the current status is.

Rear screen uses same internet connectivity as the rest of the car.

Not familiar with aftermarket options but I think the native OEM one has to be the way to go.

Reactions: mreynolds767
Yes, I demo drove a Highland Model 3 AWD LR and took my daughter along to see.

Backseat passenger can watch YouTube / Netflix while car is driving using the car's interior premium connectivity.
No sound lag ; sound was out of the main car's speakers.
Video did not play on main front screen of course while driving so was good for the backseat passengers but not so great for the front as you got the video audio only. This was expected I just didn't know if there were options for the rear screen audio to output only in the rear or something.

I am not sure if the system allows the front screen to play music or similar through the car's speakers at the same time as the backseat watches a video IF the backseat passenger's have bluetooth headphones connected. May or may not be an option I did not test this. The car may not allow 2 streaming type sources at once or 2 audio tracks output at once?

Map did stay active on main screen while backseat passenger used the screen for any function.

The after market options are definitely not as good. They would only be for pre-2024 3's or all Y years.
From what I understand is they do not tap into the car's connectivity and do not use the car's speakers ; otherwise they now look quite similar and share some similar features though climate wise on the aftermarket ones if the backseat passenger adjusts the temp it is changing it for front as well where the Telsa one in the new 3 has the back as a separate zone which is ideal.

Reactions: el-guapin and MikeC