Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit by eMMC Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hit with the dreaded eMMC issue in my 2015 Model S P85D. I'm very disappointed that Tesla will not sell me an updated MCUv2 that fixes this issue permanently. They even acknowledged that it is possible but isn't available at this time. My question right now is what are my options? I'm in Toronto Canada. I know there are people advertising to fix this much cheaper than the $2800 from Tesla but this sounds risky to me if something goes wrong. Anyone have experience getting this done? Is anyone offering to do the MCUv2 upgrades and if so what is cost? Does it unable all the streaming and gaming features and would there be a risk with issues with future updates?

Thanks for info. I know there are likely answers to these questions scattered on the message board but hoping someone can help me and summarize the latest facts (and not speculation)

I've been hit with the dreaded eMMC issue in my 2015 Model S P85D. I'm very disappointed that Tesla will not sell me an updated MCUv2 that fixes this issue permanently. They even acknowledged that it is possible but isn't available at this time. My question right now is what are my options? I'm in Toronto Canada. I know there are people advertising to fix this much cheaper than the $2800 from Tesla but this sounds risky to me if something goes wrong. Anyone have experience getting this done? Is anyone offering to do the MCUv2 upgrades and if so what is cost? Does it unable all the streaming and gaming features and would there be a risk with issues with future updates?

Thanks for info. I know there are likely answers to these questions scattered on the message board but hoping someone can help me and summarize the latest facts (and not speculation)

Assuming you're not under warranty, maybe an option would be to get it fixed as cheap as possible (as you said, you can find someone who will do this in the basement) and see if Tesla will release the MCU2 upgrade option in the near future. I think that's what I'd do :)

Long out of warranty. 5 years old and 175,000km. That is what I'm leaning towards but I'm nervous about something going wrong and bricking the car and Tesla not supporting to fix since I went to a third party.

Assuming you're not under warranty, maybe an option would be to get it fixed as cheap as possible (as you said, you can find someone who will do this in the basement) and see if Tesla will release the MCU2 upgrade option in the near future. I think that's what I'd do :)

Did you catch this thread? The issue is if yours has died, go down to the part which describes the corrupted files, and the permanent lack of app connectivity. Not sure if the ones who fix this can give some of indication as to the success rate on whether this happens or not. @EV-Fixme ?? But you need to decide if you want to save about $2000 and not have some of the listed possible issues.

No Tesla is not offering an MCU2 upgrade; yet, but see this. Now what would really suck is if you spent $2800 on a refurbished MCU1 and 3 months later Tesla offers an MCU2 for $3000.

MCU2 does not fix the issue permanently either. It will likely last much much longer than a stock MCU1. The chip is much bigger, but with streaming video, not sure how much of the chip will be used for caching. So there is also a chance it may last the same.. Hard to say till more information is available about MCU2. @zax123 Can help in Canada.

Reactions: Akikiki

Check Kijiji, theres a guy in Brampton that can help you out. He fixed mine for about $300. I have as spare 64GB eMMC I can sell you but I won't be in town for the next couple days not till around Thursday. Let me know if you need it.