Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hive free charge - 12 months free EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn't appear to be any detail on the BG website about the specific tariff that this would be attached to, but I think it's a relatively safe bet to assume it would be their Electric Driver V2. For me, the rates are these:

1700047667108.png

They have a 5 hour off peak rate 00:00 to 05:00.

It's slightly cheaper than the current Octopus Go rates of 30.6p & 9p per kWh (00:30 to 04:30 off peak). Standing charge 47.95p.

If you do a lot of mileage, Intelligent Octopus may work out a bit cheaper overall but it would be borderline with the 12 months free charging with BG. You'd need to run the numbers for your usage pattern. I'm not sure what the rates are on that right now. I only do around 5-6000 miles per year at the moment and work from home (lots of power use all day), so for me Octopus Tracker is still far far cheaper. My October bill had average electricity of 17.47p per kWh for the month for all usage. And 5.24p per kWh for gas. There was a waiting list for Tracker, I'm not sure if there still is.

It's quite tricky to work out which tariff would be cheaper unless you have a decent idea of your usage split daytime vs overnight and how many miles of charging you'll be doing at home. Getting charging at work makes a fair bit of difference of course, as would needing to use Superchargers instead of home charging.

Presumably paid for by the referral kickback for the Hive charger and possibly some of the installation price, that you have to pay up front. Depends how they determine Wh/km too, might not match your vehicle spec and might not be generous for those 8,000 credit-refunded miles.

Crazy world where this feels like an exciting offer, but in reality it's little more than a £200 discount in exchange for them deciding when it charges.

Free charge is limited to 2290 kWh, and you can have their EV rate at 8.9p = £203.81

About £1100 for a charger install isn't bad, the EO charger is probably decent. Nice offer overall.

There doesn't appear to be any detail on the BG website about the specific tariff that this would be attached to, but I think it's a relatively safe bet to assume it would be their Electric Driver V2. For me, the rates are these:

View attachment 990861

They have a 5 hour off peak rate 00:00 to 05:00.

It's slightly cheaper than the current Octopus Go rates of 30.6p & 9p per kWh (00:30 to 04:30 off peak). Standing charge 47.95p.

If you do a lot of mileage, Intelligent Octopus may work out a bit cheaper overall but it would be borderline with the 12 months free charging with BG. You'd need to run the numbers for your usage pattern. I'm not sure what the rates are on that right now. I only do around 5-6000 miles per year at the moment and work from home (lots of power use all day), so for me Octopus Tracker is still far far cheaper. My October bill had average electricity of 17.47p per kWh for the month for all usage. And 5.24p per kWh for gas. There was a waiting list for Tracker, I'm not sure if there still is.

It's quite tricky to work out which tariff would be cheaper unless you have a decent idea of your usage split daytime vs overnight and how many miles of charging you'll be doing at home. Getting charging at work makes a fair bit of difference of course, as would needing to use Superchargers instead of home charging.
Hi, Just wondered if you decided which way to go, I am looking at BG Hive EO Mini Pro 3 - its untethered though, thinking tethered might be better? what do you think? Or just buy a Tesla charger and then go on an EV tariff....

Hi, Just wondered if you decided which way to go, I am looking at BG Hive EO Mini Pro 3 - its untethered though, thinking tethered might be better? what do you think? Or just buy a Tesla charger and then go on an EV tariff....

It has long been established that tethered is the way to go. Also since we are predominantly Octopus users here (that in itself says something) I would suggest you get a charger that can directly be controlled through the provider save yourself some grief.

I’ve had the tethered alfen installed for the 12 months free charging. Think it was £935 all installed whilst on offer. Only issue was from order to install was only 1 week and my smart meters weren’t installed until 4 weeks later.

You don’t need to change tariff, you get the free charging on any of the tariffs even the fairly low priced 12 month fixed

Great charger, looks neat and charges at a consistent 7.5 kw/h works with octopus and ovo also if ever i need to switch for better deal after 12 months