Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla home charger is only 6 months old and completely died about three weeks ago. The electrician who installed it checked it and the power is going into the charger fine, just not coming out. Apparently this gets referred to Tesla in the UK who can access the charger remotely (course they can). They have done absolutely nothing despite repeated emails and requests from Tesla in Dublin and I’m now looking at the holiday period needing to do a lot of driving, based in rural Ireland where the charging network is woeful, and without a home charger! Anyone else experienced difficulty getting Tesla to deal with home charger issues??

Tesla can't access the charger remotely. They can talk to the car and see what it and the charger have said, but there is no communications path to the charger by itself. I assume that you tried power cycling it? Did you move the DIP switches to other positions? Is there any indication of error? Are any lights lit up. Does it open the charge door when you push the button.

We had a first generation HPWC fail (control board died) and Tesla supplied a replacement second generation charger under warranty though I had to install it.
Of course that was two years ago and who knows if Tesla service will still be as responsive.

Tesla can't access the charger remotely. They can talk to the car and see what it and the charger have said, but there is no communications path to the charger by itself. I assume that you tried power cycling it? Did you move the DIP switches to other positions? Is there any indication of error? Are any lights lit up. Does it open the charge door when you push the button.

Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but what’s “power cycling”? I wasn’t home when the electrician checked it but assume he would have carried out routine checks, even though he hadn’t installed one before? It’s just dead- no lights on the front, won’t open charge port, and pale blue light actually goes out when I plug it it. When plugged in, the touchscreen display just says “ready to charge”- it’s not acknowledging the charger at all. At Tesla’s request, I have tried it again at specified times presumably as you say, to see the car’s reaction. I’m no expert, but the charger is clearly faulty and should be replaced under warranty. It’s the lack of reaction from Tesla that’s most disappointing.

Power cycling = turn it off for a few seconds then back on to reboot its little internal computer.

can be done via the electrical breaker it is connected too.

while you are there, make sure the breaker is on.

Have tried all the above- no sign of life.
Though it’s good to know the practice of turning something off and on now has a technical term! That phrase hadn’t made it across the Atlantic- until now...

My Tesla wall charger has a reset button on the side of the unit. If you hold down the button, the internal computer will recycle and reset itself. During this process, the green light will turn red with the light returning to green when reset.

Since early in ownership I purchased a second UMC and a bunch of 220V adapters for any situation.
The value of that investment came true once at a motel (off the AC outlet through window) in the pre-SC days,
and more recently when my UMC died, the second unit did garage duty until replaced at no cost under ext. warranty.

My Tesla wall charger has a reset button on the side of the unit. If you hold down the button, the internal computer will recycle and reset itself. During this process, the green light will turn red with the light returning to green when reset.

Nope- tried that too. In any case, there isn't a functioning green light to go red. There's no life at all in the unit. And I still haven't heard anything from Tesla.