Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You told your politicians that you wanted "clean" energy. You got it (50% of California's in state generation is from clean sources) and now you don't like paying for it. It's amazing how often this happens.

Not complaining, just educating myself on where my power bill is going and adjusting my charging habits. I appreciate all of your comments. I wonder where the supercharger power is coming from?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have had my Model X for a year and a half, almost (July 2018, MCU2.5). For the first 6 months I owned the car I mostly used the superchargers at night. I did have a strange NEMA 6-15 connector in the wall of my garage when I moved in, probably for some washer or drier utility, but they are on the opposite side so I got an adaptor and I can charge at 3-4 KWh per hour. I am pretty cheap and was mostly doing supercharging since it is free.

I also have solar (and a whole house battery) and have been generating 20-25 KWH a day and exporting 8-10 KWH a day, depending. My monthly electricity charges were very low.

About a year ago my girlfriend got concerned about my late night supercharging habits… no waiting, and lots of spaces free. So I began charging at home more and more. My work hours are long and strange and I am out the door at 7 am and back home 9pm to midnight. Just plug in every night and I charge it up to 80 or 90% and I am good to go I the am. Doesn’t matter if it charges slowly at night.

Until I noticed over the past year that my Net Metering charges were going up $60 to $80 to $100 a month. WTF? The billed charges in the $%^&*@# PG&E bill were only $10 a month but the money owed at the end of the year was going up! I began paying more every month but it kept going up. So I called PG&E and had them explain the bill to me.

Basically, when I charge the car, it is like running the oven and the washing machine constantly all night- even at 3KWH an hour, it is a real drain. Over the past month I generated 261 KWH but used 614 KWH, and so I had to import 353 KWH from the grid, even though most of it was in the low non-peak rate ($0.33 per KWH).

So it looks like I am going to be doing more supercharging of the car. I occasionally charge it at work at a level 2 charger, but charging at night at my house might start to be come a luxury. I am wondering if others have looked at their charging habits.

When I owned two ICE cars by gas bills were about $200 a month, so this is certainly less, but by modifying my habits, I think I can pay less.

Here is the power consumption over the past year and one day’s power consumption graphically displayed.

Is you $0.33 non peak rate part of an EV plan? I am on a PG&E Time of Use Plan and it is $0.20 off peak. However, I am adding solar and want to understand any potential charges from this addition.

I was hoping to end up with a net of maybe 3 KW/hr more since I work from home and can charge in the middle of the day. I don't drive much < 8,000 miles per year.

Last edited:
That is just one of many reasons the middle class is fleeing California. Those electrical rates are outrageous! Maui charges about 36 cents per kilowatt hour and they have to import 50% of their electricity in the form of fuel oil. WTF is going on in California!

Lots of power companies each with their own set of plans and rates for those plans. Makes it very difficult to generalize about rates.

I have solar on my house. I generate up to 75kwh, and produce over 1Mwh per month. In Texas my electric company buys my electricity at whole sale during the day and sells it to me at retail at night. Plus they charge me a monthly charge to be hooked up to the grid.

I have solar on my house. I generate up to 75kwh, and produce over 1Mwh per month. In Texas my electric company buys my electricity at whole sale during the day and sells it to me at retail at night. Plus they charge me a monthly charge to be hooked up to the grid.

How much is wholesale and how much is retail?

We have net metering, so supposedly it is like spinning the meter backwards when you put power on the grid. I believe we still pay a grid attachment fee. My system is sized at 9.6 kW but not yet installed.

I wonder where the supercharger power is coming from?
They get it from the same place you do and have some of the same problems such as having to pay more per kWh during high demand hours. But it is much more complicated for them as they are buying on a commercial tariff rather than a residential one. Those often have adjustments for peak demad, power factor, time of day etc. I don't know what you guys pay for super charging out there but I doubt Tesla is making any money on this. They say they aren't.

I have heard that in some locations in CA they have tried load shifting by installation of power walls and in others there are solar panels and batteries.

I I generate up to 75kwh, and produce over 1Mwh per month.
A kWh is a unit of energy. A kW is a unit of power (rate at which energy is transferred). If you produce 1 MWh per month that's about 32 kWh per day. Assuming the insolation in your area is 5 kWh/m2/da then your system is rated 6.4 kW. Thus you probably mean the system is rated (can produce up to) 7.5 kW (something like 30 panels). That would correspond to 1.125 MWh/mo.

A kWh is a unit of energy. A kW is a unit of power (rate at which energy is transferred). If you produce 1 MWh per month that's about 32 kWh per day. Assuming the insolation in your area is 5 kWh/m2/da then your system is rated 6.4 kW. Thus you probably mean the system is rated (can produce up to) 7.5 kW (something like 30 panels). That would correspond to 1.125 MWh/mo.

Reading my systems SolarEdge inverter page its rated 15.39 kWP, I generate a low of .8 MWh to a high of 2.25 MWh per month. My total production since August of 2016 is 58.35 MWh.

The electric company buys my electricity at 0.064. Then they charge me .023431 to deliver the energy back to me, plus they bill me 0.064 for the electricity. On top of that they bill me $20 per month to be connected to the grid.

Last month I generated 1.79 MWh.

Reactions: cantbechanged
Hello All,
I'm currently preparing to purchase a Model X Raven LR, I finally made the decision between the Performance and LR. Anyways, I do not have a home charger installed, and have a couple questions, for base knowledge to help guide me, I

1) Since the X comes free super charging, is there a problem doing that daily?
2) how fast does a 120 V charge the X, aka, how many miles per hour?

Congrats on your X! You’re gonna love it.

I would only use Superchargers for travel. The X is a thirsty car, and it will take time sitting at the Supercharger to charge. This will get old quickly.

I would NOT rely on charging with a 15-amp 120 outlet. At best you’ll add 3 miles of range per hour charging. Less if it’s winter cold (I once only got 1-1/2 miles per hour of charge range at 0 degrees at a friend’s house) Your X will rarely be charged enough for your liking.

We’ve had a non-Raven X100D for almost a year. We’ve installed two home-charging solutions at two locations, and both work well.

Our primary charging solution is the Tesla wall connector with a 90-amp input; this is set up tp charge at 72 amps, or 17 KW (42-ish miles per hour of charge) it takes 6-ish hours to take me from 10 to 90% battery. It’s perfect for plugging in after a road trip, and waking up to a fully-charged car. (I do remember reading on those forms that a Raven X will only charge at 48 amps. This is still a good rate of charge for overnight.)

Our secondary solution at my folks’ house is a 50-amp NEMA 14-50 using the Tesla mobile charger (the one with interchangeable plugs) This charges at 32 amps, and gives me 7-1/2 KW, or roughly 18 miles per hour of charge.

Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: cantbechanged