Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I placed my order of model 3 AWD performance, on the last page, it stated that my car, when ready, will be delivered to my house.

I was wondering what criteria is met to have the car delivered to your house rather than you picking it up from the delivery center near you. I was kind of looking forward to the whole delivery center experience I've heard so much about but I won't be getting that.

Can this be changed?

After I placed my order of model 3 AWD performance, on the last page, it stated that my car, when ready, will be delivered to my house.

I was wondering what criteria is met to have the car delivered to your house rather than you picking it up from the delivery center near you. I was kind of looking forward to the whole delivery center experience I've heard so much about but I won't be getting that.

Can this be changed?

Call the toll free number and have them add a note to your account stating that you'd like to pick it up. Your ISA will call you to talk it over before scheduling.

When I bought my 2000 BMW 323i it was also home delivered. Well, actually, it was almost delivered to my house. I had to meet the car transporter about 2 miles away. The driver's excuse was that he didn't think he could park his truck on my street. At the place I was living at the time, there was a middle turn lane he could have parked his rig in but I didn't argue. I don't believe it was one of the usual Waggoners enclosed truck with the rounded rear door that BMW normally uses but it was enclosed. The driver actually had to back off a DeLorean DMC-12 in order to get to my car (bad planning? last minute change in the delivery schedule?). Had about 5 minutes to inspect the car before signing paperwork accepting it (ooh... there's the 5 minute delivery time people are now talking about here).

The reason why I got home delivery? I bought the car through CarOrder.com. They acted as a middleman in hooking up customers with a traditional car dealer willing to sell a car at a negotiated set price. They found a dealer in Los Angeles, Alexander BMW, who would fulfill the order which meant they had to deliver the car up to me in San Jose. I saved about $1500 from what the local dealers were offering at the time, as well as getting leather seats for the price of the leatherette option. CarOrder screwed up my order by getting everything else right, except for my leatherette request. When I saw how the car was configured in an email they sent me about a month before delivery, I let them know right away and said that they got it wrong. For some reason, CarOrder said to not worry about it and that they would cover the difference in cost, rather than changing the vehicle. It was only about 5 months from ordering the car until I received it. Much faster than the 2.25 years I waited for the 3.