Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for sale new but box is open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have a homelink for a model y/3 for sale. Tesla sent me two so I have an extra. I did open the box however because I didn't know what it was. I would prefer PayPal for payment or if in Michigan close to Livonia we can do a meetup. $220

Attachments

• 20220310_083641.jpg
    20220310_083641.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 20220310_083625.jpg
    20220310_083625.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 114
Note that, I just bought one of these from tesla and there is a sticker on the box that says " DO NOT OPEN" and also states that voids tesla provided installation. No idea if anyone sticks to that, but be aware that it would be possible for tesla to deny installation based on an open box, and plan accordingly.

How could you have accidentally opened it? The boxes are clearly labeled with a bright sticker disclaimer to not open them. Since you ordered another, you would have known that.
Did you order this, open it and get denied installation so you're trying to sell it?

It was the same for the Enhanced Anti-Theft System I had installed--i.e., it arrived in a "Do Not Open" box. True of all Tesla-installed accessories, correct?

I can understand shipping the item to the car owner (it saves Tesla the effort to store and keep track of parts needed for mobile service). But I don't fully understand the do-not-open rule. Why this rigid policy? What difference does it make (except if parts were to be missing)? Seems unnecessarily harsh. Any good explanations?

Upon further thought my guess is that the rule did not exist at first, but that too many customers lost or broke parts, or first tried to install items themselves, thereby adding to the Tesla service workload.

But I am still left thinking that as long as all the parts are there, unbroken, what is the issue? Install the damn thing, Tesla.

Oh, I know. If the box were opened and there were to be an eventual problem with the installation, there is no way to know with complete assurance whether the problem was due to the Tesla part itself, to the installation procedure, or to something the customer might have done. It's a liability (i.e., lawyer) thing.

Took me awhile, but I got there eventually.

Last edited:
No the reason it was opened was because I wasn't expecting a second on. My first order got lost and tesla sent me a second one. Then a month later the first showed up. I opened it because I want paying attention.
So you're really saying you missed this, even though you had to cut through it to open the box?? It says Tesla on it and Do Not Open.

1647536313650.png

No that I owe u anything but my box doesn't have that sticker on it first of all.look at the pictures. Secondly if you don't want it keep it moving and keep you're comments to yourself. There are plenty of guys buying used ones off eBay and getting them installed by tesla service for free. This one is brand new and accidently opened. I know for a fact most service tech don't care.

Reactions: CorporateB