Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opener Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the Garage Door Opener from the Tesla website. Package arrived a couple days ago; today, a Mobile Service Tech arrived at my house to install it.

The entire installation took only 20 minutes or so. He didn't have to remove the front bumper of the Y; apparently, removal of the bumper was only required on the Model 3.

He did remove the frunk cubby, as well as the trim between the frunk and the front window. The Homelink module was quickly snapped into place, then everything was reassembled. He finished by flashing the software in the car.

Overall, very fast and painless. Still wished that Tesla had built this into the car, as in older Teslas and almost every other car on the market.

• Disagree
Reactions: floydturbo
Cost conscious Tesla. Saved a bucket of bucks not putting it in every car any more.

One of these days someone at Tesla will ask why not put it in every car and save a Mobile Tech trip. Someone's boss will say GENIUS !!! Let's do that. Wow, why didn't someone think of this before. Just wait. We will hear about it.

Cost conscious Tesla. Saved a bucket of bucks not putting it in every car any more.

Maybe. Could be planning to support wifi enabled garage door openers in the future diminishing or eliminating the need for Homelink. The car has internet access and many will have FSD. One could imagine the need to open and close a wifi enabled garage door automatically to leave and return autonomously.

I have a wifi garage door opener (through myQ) and thought about just using my phone each time to open/close the door. But opening the app each time or relying on voice commands seemed too inconvenient for everyday use.

I have the homelink module on order for the MY being delivered next week and the geofencing should be more convenient.

Maybe. Could be planning to support wifi enabled garage door openers in the future diminishing or eliminating the need for Homelink. The car has internet access and many will have FSD. One could imagine the need to open and close a wifi enabled garage door automatically to leave and return autonomously.
I guess you think everyone already has wifi enabled GDO's?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike_TV