TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HONDA FCX Ultracapacitor

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by wolfgang, Oct 3, 2006.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang Guest

HONDA claim to have incorporated in their FCX Concept fuel cell car, a proprietory ultracapacitor. According to their graph, this module stores up to 2 kWh/kg and delivers 1.7 kW/kg. These numbers look too good to be true, a 20-fold improvement in energy density of the Tesla roadster's battery pack. To store 50 kWh would only require 25 kg of mass!

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/FCX/ultracapacitor/charging/

Also, NESSCAP are selling 5 kF ultracapacitors with only 1/3 of a 18650's energy density. http://www.nesscap.com/products_capacitor.htm

So how did HONDA do it? Or is there a typo in HONDA's graph?

2. klausefluoride

Woah. But if Honda could build this, why bother with the fuel cell at all?

3. danny

danny Administrator

exactly

4. tevvybear

tevvybear New Member

the question is, how much self-discharge would that ultracapacitor have? Self-discharge has always been a noticeable problem with electrolytic capacitors, though i don't know about these ultra-capacitors.
    If it discharges itself by even 10% per day, problems of overall energy efficiency arise

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

IIRC maxwel states for their 3000+F ultracaps, that they loose about 1% of charge in a month.

6. asdar

asdar Member

I'm not an electrical engineer so I may have this totally messed up.

I believe that there's some kind of problem with scaling up ultracapacitors. The numbers on the Honda were 2 grams/watt I think.

Like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about on this, but the factor that doesn't scale is the K factor, which I think is the dialectric coefficient.

I'm not sure why you couldn't just have 1,000 2 gram capacitors or something along those lines and still get the finished product of 2kg instead of 2 g.

If there's someone that knows more I'd love to see an explanation from an expert.

7. Roy

Roy New Member

The Honda Ultracapacitor cannot be 2 wHr/g but must be 2wHr/kg as it shows the ultracapacitors as only being marginaly better than standard capacitors. Also I couldn't find any mention of a 5 kF capacitor at Nesscap.