Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with local shop (pictures)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On November 26th a local Houston shop 'AFC Texas' aka 'American Finishes & Ceramics' installed a clear bra and tint on my new Tesla Model 3. After receiving my vehicle back we noticed that there was inadequate coverage in certain areas and that they had forgotten to wrap the console. When I notified the shop they told me they would be out first thing in the morning. They proceeded to arrive around 2pm and stayed for one hour to address my concerns. After they left we noticed scratches on the window trim and that the other areas of the clear bra had been poorly installed (peeling, poorly cut, inadequate coverage). When presented with the issues the shop denied they damaged the trim and told me that I had chosen a 'protection' package and not an 'aesthetics' package. I was never informed of any difference in packages and had even asked if the edges would be wrapped. At this point I did not trust this shop to work on my vehicle anymore and asked for a full refund. I was then told that I would need to bring my vehicle back into the shop to remove the clear bra which I agreed to. As they were removing the clear bra it was discovered that there were cuts in the paint even though I was told that no razor blades would be used. I then told a shop representative that I would be by at 8pm to discuss the damages. My wife received reassurance that they would still be there at 8pm. When I arrived the shop was closed and locked. I texted the shop representative and was told they would not be coming back out. After emailing the company a shop representative offered me a full refund and apologized for the inconvenience. Today they changed their mind and informed me that they will not be providing the full refund.

At this point I feel that I have exhausted my options with this company. I don't want anyone else to experience what I've gone through which is why I am sharing my experience with others.

Again the name of the company is 'AFC Texas' aka 'American Finishes & Ceramics'
AMERICAN FINISHES & CERAMICS

Pictures of the wrap and damage:
IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0255.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0267.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg
IMG_0447.jpeg

I feel so bad for you.

You should at least get back everything you paid.

We should all text and email them to help our buddy out here.
https://www.afctex.com/contact/

This is what I wrote:

MISSION: Our mission is to offer the industry’s highest quality products, in one location, to fully protect your car, boat, or home. Our experienced team of certified installers assures you flawless work, backed with an industry leading warranty program.

Really? Where is your flawless work on the Model 3 you destroyed and charged $2000 for?
Please explain your leading warranty program. I'll wait...…

Last edited:
The damage to the chrom trim was the result of closing the door and the windows not auto retracting. This is been mentioned in multiple threads. You have to have a shop that does lots of Teslas to know this and avoid it.

Everyone else is right, small claims and file with your states CCB. This is a horrible job. Do you have everything in writing about wraping the edges etc? The best defense is to hire a new shop to do the work to both remove and install with the stipulation they go to court to say how shoddy the job was. I did this with a drywall contractor and they were happy. The juge just wanted a "professional" with a credible work history to say "yes this job was not quality and i had to fix it" It was a 15 min court hearing

This is terrible. All the more reason to do some homework before picking a shop. (Right, not helpful for you- next time.) I googled AFC and didn't come up with anything except a website. Be sure you check Yelp or other online resources to see what people are posting. Most folks don't say a word unless they are extremely disappointed or incredibly wowed, so toss out the best review and the worst one and focus on the middle.

Even a great business will make a mistake, and sometimes it is not about perfection but how things are handled when something goes wrong. These guys don't have a clue.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
On November 26th a local Houston shop 'AFC Texas' aka 'American Finishes & Ceramics' installed a clear bra and tint on my new Tesla Model 3. After receiving my vehicle back we noticed that there was inadequate coverage in certain areas and that they had forgotten to wrap the console. When I notified the shop they told me they would be out first thing in the morning. They proceeded to arrive around 2pm and stayed for one hour to address my concerns. After they left we noticed scratches on the window trim and that the other areas of the clear bra had been poorly installed (peeling, poorly cut, inadequate coverage). When presented with the issues the shop denied they damaged the trim and told me that I had chosen a 'protection' package and not an 'aesthetics' package. I was never informed of any difference in packages and had even asked if the edges would be wrapped. At this point I did not trust this shop to work on my vehicle anymore and asked for a full refund. I was then told that I would need to bring my vehicle back into the shop to remove the clear bra which I agreed to. As they were removing the clear bra it was discovered that there were cuts in the paint even though I was told that no razor blades would be used. I then told a shop representative that I would be by at 8pm to discuss the damages. My wife received reassurance that they would still be there at 8pm. When I arrived the shop was closed and locked. I texted the shop representative and was told they would not be coming back out. After emailing the company a shop representative offered me a full refund and apologized for the inconvenience. Today they changed their mind and informed me that they will not be providing the full refund.

At this point I feel that I have exhausted my options with this company. I don't want anyone else to experience what I've gone through which is why I am sharing my experience with others.

View attachment 358516 View attachment 358515 View attachment 358531 View attachment 358466 View attachment 358465 View attachment 358463 View attachment 358460 View attachment 358459 View attachment 358461 View attachment 358464
that's the worst of any wrapping I have seen anywhere. Look almost like done by a 5 years old kid. You need to write bad review in Google and Yelp. Posting it in the forum isn't good enough.

View attachment 358516 View attachment 358515 View attachment 358531 View attachment 358466 View attachment 358465 View attachment 358463 View attachment 358460 View attachment 358459 View attachment 358461 View attachment 358464
And you really need to start using some "scare" tactics. Tell them that if they don't give you full refund, they will pay for it with their reputation. Call up the local tv station.

You need to speak with the owner. These reps don’t care. The owner should.

What, you've never heard of the Better Business Bureau?

Come on; get with the program. Give them a visit and see what happens: www.bbb.org

Reactions: ToyotaJon
You need to speak with the owner. These reps don’t care. The owner should.

I have been speaking with who I believe are the owners. Unfortunately that has not led anywhere.

I take that back, it did lead to me being outside of a closed shop after I told them I'd be by at 8pm to discuss the damages and they said they'd still be there then left before I arrived.

IMG-0348.JPG