Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Range 2020 Model 3 LR, Dual Motor!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is not to compare Tesla to other EVs. I'm saying that if Tesla made changes to cause the car to sleep more deeply in order to save parasitic losses, people would be here complaining about startup or app connection delays.

Could make their code more efficient? Of course! You are fairly new here. The list of inefficient choices that Tesla has made on the hardware and software side is long and distinguished.

But the bottom line is that most of Tesla's customers are petulant children. Just browse this board. So Tesla is making decision that will upset the fewest number of people...

I am sorry but you are wrong. I work for a SaaS company. We have to always keep resources online to handle additional load. Even with a global footprint there are ebbs and flows during the day and/or between days. Yes, we try to optimize the number of running systems but we must keep idle systems available for the next customer that may need it. When you multiply this times every SaaS, IaaS, and every other provider out there, there are many, many, systems sitting idle at any given point, waiting to handle a new customer that may or may not appear. The alternative is to give someone a "wait" screen for a few seconds or minutes while instances are spun up. People will complain about this so the providers don't do it, no matter what it does to the environment.

Gotcha. On this forum we've guessed what Tesla can and can't do before and been very wrong. Very related, it used to be said that Tesla couldn't enable Model 3 passive entry with the key fob since it doesn't have the necessary hardware. That turned out to be completely wrong and we were just handing them excuses. (It did require new key fob hardware, but nothing on the car). My understanding is that the bulk of the power usage when awake is the AP computer. It could need to be on for some reason, but the car also operates perfectly fine without it (it has to in case that system faults - it's not a critical component). In this regard I don't think anyone here is being a petulant child - expectations are absolutely reasonable on such an expensive purchase. I don't see anything unreasonable about expecting my car to be able to open at a moment's notice while also using minimal power, and have remote access capability. ICE vehicles have done this for years (and had to with much smaller batteries), why not the "leader" of EVs?

I've done work in SaaS too. Keeping resources hot is indeed absolutely part of it, and those resources will be under-utilized (if at all). I incredibly highly doubt those are in a busy-wait state though, consuming maximum CPU power. They are allocated, provisioned, and available, but in a reduced power state if not being actively used. Someone the size of Instagram is also definitely mindful of load patterns and will be optimising for cost for sure (and thus optimising their portion of power usage, directly or indirectly). To be perfectly truthful I don't know how the numbers compare to, say, my personal computer. But "idle" server resources are consuming a relatively idle amount of power, not full power. Probably under 20% of their full load power?

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Bought a new 2020 model 3 LR, 19" wheels, duel motor in Dec. I have never got more than 130 mile per charge from 90% to about 30%. No matter how I drive. I been trying to accelerate gradually and to not speed up and slow down as much as possible. I live in San Francisco where the climate is cool. I have tried soft reboots but nothing seems to help. Is there a problem? does anyone have any good advice?

Pics of the efficiency or it didn't happen. This is the only way to know for sure, nobody can identify what the problem is if you don't provide any data aside from subjective measures like "accelerat[ing] gradually" etc. The efficiency page looks like the attached file:
help.jpg

It's the number above wh/mi