Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel charging 2.75 per hour for level 2 , worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to Miami from Ottawa and our first stopover the hotel has stay n charge branded level 2 and I was wondering if it is worth using ? Should I just use the supercharger or use this overnight? Thoughts? M3 long range .

Gotta do the math…and know the voltage and amps.

If it’s 11kw (the fastest most l2 chargers can deliver, that’s ~2.75/11 or 25 cents a kwhr. Not bad if you compare it against a supercharger but not great if you compare to home rates.

Say their voltage is 208V or their delivered amps is lower, resulting in say 7kw. That’s 39 cents a kw at $2.75/hr… much higher and less of a deal.

All this is subject to efficiency drop but so are superchargers and home so I’ll ignore that. Bottom line, it’s as good as 25c/kwhr and gets progressively worse.

Remember to figure in the convenience of waking up to a fully charged car…priceless. 😊 (But ask about “idle fees” if you complete the charge early, do they round up for partial hour, etc. bottom line is it’s a good deal if the convenience it provides as provided is worth it to you.

In September I stayed at several Hilton properties that had Tesla Level 2 charging, at 208 volts. I do not recall the amps, but they charged my MX overnight. There was no charge to use the chargers, and they were not the expensive Hilton brand, one was called Homewood Suites.

Is it becoming common to have a fee at hotels?

When I booked the hotel I made sure there were Tesla SuC nearby in case the hotel's L2 chargers were occupied when I checked in, but at one hotel both stalls were not occupied, and at the second hotel only one of the two stalls was occupied, so I was good and had a full battery the next morning.

Reactions: Biscuitman