Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I command a precondition from my phone once the charge level has reached 80% or even if it were to be a different percentage at a destination charger such as at a Hilton hotel using a Tesla branded charge, the requested charge would be achieved in the overnight hours sometime if the charging cable were to still be plugged into the car when precondition is asked for would the energy used for the precondition come from the facilities electric grid or would it take power away from the vehicles batteries on my 2023 Model Y long range
Also do destination chargers chargers incur idle fees?

If I command a precondition from my phone once the charge level has reached 80% or even if it were to be a different percentage at a destination charger such as at a Hilton hotel using a Tesla branded charge, the requested charge would be achieved in the overnight hours sometime if the charging cable were to still be plugged into the car when precondition is asked for would the energy used for the precondition come from the facilities electric grid or would it take power away from the vehicles batteries on my 2023 Model Y long range
It would come from the power source, not the battery. If it's charging and preconditioning at the same time and needs more power than the source can provide, the remainder needed for preconditioning would come from the battery. Not sure about the idle fees.

That generally depends on the hotel or facility providing it, of what policies they have set. I stayed at a hotel that had two Chargepoint chargers, and I was going to use one of them, but I looked at the pricing policies first, and it had a 5 hour time limit, and then would stop and start charging $2 per hour idle fees! That first 5 hours wouldn't even fill my car, and then I would have to pay $10 for the next 5 hours until I got up the next morning. No way I was doing that.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin