Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV lanes access in Québec is imminent for EV drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems most of the commuter access is immediate, but A15 is northbound only?

We'll have to find out if the bridges and ferries will be free for visiting EVs too after January 1st. Also, I imagine it only applies to the vehicule fees for ferries, not to the additional per passenger surcharges.

It seems most of the commuter access is immediate, but A15 is northbound only?

Yep, from as long as I can remember, (6-7 years minimum), the HOV lane on A15 has always been northbound only, from a little bit north of the 40 up to just short of the 440. To their defense, traffic is way worst in PM than in AM. From my home north of Laval to my workplace in the middle of Montreal it's usually :

Start time : total time
5AM : 35min
6AM : 45min
7AM : 1h15
8AM : 1h15
9AM : 45min

On the way back, without access to the HOV lave :

2PM : 35min (HOV is in effect starting at 3PM, so no traffic since all 4 lanes are opened)
3PM : 45min
4PM : 1h25
5PM : 1h35
6PM : 1h25
7PM : 35min (HOV ends at 7PM)

Taking the HOV saves me around 10-15min during the peak time (4-6PM)

... it will only apply if you have Quebec EV plates.

and some people think that it is the plates only that count for this ... enough to steal them from another car.

or at least that is the current theory for this
4836435_orig.jpg

as described recently by AVEQ.

In Ontario, the rationale is to give Ontario citizens an incentive to purchase a plug-in car, not as some broader support for EVs everywhere. Ontario gets no direct benefit from allowing out-of-province single occupant cars in HOV lanes.

Sure, but being nice to environmentally-friendly visitors spending money in our province isn't exactly an expensive proposition.

Sure, but being nice to environmentally-friendly visitors spending money in our province isn't exactly an expensive proposition.

Agree, but it probably comes down to enforcement. Ontario Green Plates are probably easy enough for Ontario cops to recognize, but trying to figure out plates, bumper stickers and what have you from other states/provinces... not so much.