Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV use - Fast Trak in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the latest, purple colored CARB HOV sticker... however, I'm uncertain about using it in the Fast Trak designated HOV lanes, prevalent on the 110 and 10 Interstates here in southern California.. Will I have to get one of those Fast Trak transponders as well to use those lanes, on top of my car being already registered for single lane access? If anyone can confirm, thanks.

Need the switchable transponder from Metro Express. You can get them from Costco, Albertson's, or AAA in addition to metro express site.

Starting March 1, when you are driving by yourself, need to have it switched to 1 instead of 2 or 3. Must register your vehicle as having valid CAV decal in order to qualify for 15% discount.

If you have 2-3 occupants in car, remember to switch it to that number for 100% discount. Don't get caught cheating...which 25% of users are. Carpool cheaters on toll roads may face a crackdown

If you always just drive by yourself on the express lane, you don't need to get the switchable transponder. You can open a free account (special access for ZEV) on the 91 express lane (they give you a non-switchable transponder no deposit require if you have credit card on file). There is no monthly maintenance fee and you get to drive on the 91 toll free (except 4pm-6pm weekdays). You will get the 15% discount too come March 1 on the 10/110.

If you always just drive by yourself on the express lane, you don't need to get the switchable transponder. You can open a free account (special access for ZEV) on the 91 express lane (they give you a non-switchable transponder no deposit require if you have credit card on file). There is no monthly maintenance fee and you get to drive on the 91 toll free (except 4pm-6pm weekdays). You will get the 15% discount too come March 1 on the 10/110.

The free transponder only applies to the 91 freeway express lanes?

Need the switchable transponder from Metro Express. You can get them from Costco, Albertson's, or AAA in addition to metro express site.

Starting March 1, when you are driving by yourself, need to have it switched to 1 instead of 2 or 3. Must register your vehicle as having valid CAV decal in order to qualify for 15% discount.

If you have 2-3 occupants in car, remember to switch it to that number for 100% discount. Don't get caught cheating...which 25% of users are. Carpool cheaters on toll roads may face a crackdown

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how this works. How would CHP know if you had it on 2 when you drove thru the sensor instead of 1 if you were alone in the car?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how this works. How would CHP know if you had it on 2 when you drove thru the sensor instead of 1 if you were alone in the car?
There are lights above the scanner that tells them what the switch is at. I wish there were more cops. It’s easy money. I see someone pulled over everyday on the 110 and every other day on the 10. I currently use both every day.

There are lights above the scanner that tells them what the switch is at. I wish there were more cops. It’s easy money. I see someone pulled over everyday on the 110 and every other day on the 10. I currently use both every day.
ah, so externally viewable. thanks.

If I ever found myself up there, I'd never drive in the lanes. It sounds like a confusing mess for out of area people.

If I ever found myself up there, I'd never drive in the lanes. It sounds like a confusing mess for out of area people.

LoL it’s not confusing. But it’s not that useful on the 10 during normal hours. It’s only useful during rush hour. But I’ve been using it since 2014. It has gotten so bad that it doesn’t really help anymore. It use to take me 11-13 mins to get to downtown. Now it takes me 23 mins. And it’s not EVs fault. There’s not that many EVs to cause congestion. It’s the cheaters.

It’s still good on the 110 heading south away from downtown.

The free transponder only applies to the 91 freeway express lanes?

You can use it for any fastrak toll lanes in California. I used it on the 10/110, 241/261/133 too. But the toll is only free on the 91. On the 10/110, you are supposed to get a 15% discount starting 3/1/2019. On the 241/261/133, you get like a $1.00 discount for each use by having a transponder instead of toll by plate. The good thing is that you don't have to pay deposit for the transponder and you don't have to pay a monthly maintenance fee. I think if you open an account with metro 10/110, you have to pay $1 a month and buy your transponder.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I think if you open an account with metro 10/110, you have to pay $1 a month and buy your transponder.
That’s correct. It’s $1 monthly fee and you have to buy the transponder for $40 or slight discount at Albertsons, AAA, or Costco. $36-$38. But you get $40 toll credit funded to your account to pay for the tolls and monthly fees. So it’s basicially a free transponder.

However the transponder is not yours. You must return it after you’re done. Or when you close your account. Otherwise you get charge $40.

That’s correct. It’s $1 monthly fee and you have to buy the transponder for $40 or slight discount at Albertsons, AAA, or Costco. $36-$38. But you get $40 toll credit funded to your account to pay for the tolls and monthly fees. So it’s basicially a free transponder.

However the transponder is not yours. You must return it after you’re done. Or when you close your account. Otherwise you get charge $40.

Then it is the same as the one from 91. But instead of free credit, you pay $40 deposit into the account for tolls, and the transponder "deposit" is waived. I think it is the same with other agencies transponder.. it is not really yours.. just loaned to you.

I was also told that if you go in person to open an account at the 91 express land office, you could get a "switchable" transponder instead of their normal no switch one. I rarely traveled on the 10/110 so I didn't do that.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Then it is the same as the one from 91. But instead of free credit, you pay $40 deposit into the account for tolls, and the transponder "deposit" is waived. I think it is the same with other agencies transponder.. it is not really yours.. just loaned to you.

I was also told that if you go in person to open an account at the 91 express land office, you could get a "switchable" transponder instead of their normal no switch one. I rarely traveled on the 10/110 so I didn't do that.

Ya I think it’s basically the same. The deposit is waived only if you have a credit card on file. If not then you don’t get the $40 funded to your account for daily use.

I have the new Fast Trak/Toll Roads transponder mounted on the windshield next to the camera mount. I find that on certain toll toads exits on SR241 and SR73 the transponder activates only half the time, when at other times I am charged at the "Tolls Paid By Plate" rate which is significantly higher.

I recall awhile ago there was an issue with Tesla windshields that caused interference with the old highway transponders, but that the new transponders were supposed to fix the issue. Does anyone know if this is recurring, or perhaps do I just have a bad transponder?

I have the new Fast Trak/Toll Roads transponder mounted on the windshield next to the camera mount. I find that on certain toll toads exits on SR241 and SR73 the transponder activates only half the time, when at other times I am charged at the "Tolls Paid By Plate" rate which is significantly higher.

I recall awhile ago there was an issue with Tesla windshields that caused interference with the old highway transponders, but that the new transponders were supposed to fix the issue. Does anyone know if this is recurring, or perhaps do I just have a bad transponder?

I never went on the 73, but the 241 toll booth transponder reader is broken or not work some of the time. I can see that on my fast trak account activities page that it read my license plate but not the transponder. But I am not charged the "toll by plate" rate.. just the normal fast trak rate. Do you have an Express account before you have the fast trak? If so, you probably need to remove your license plate # from the Express account. I think the Orange County toll road first match your plate against the Express account before going to out to other CA fast trak agency to match against their database.

I never went on the 73, but the 241 toll booth transponder reader is broken or not work some of the time. I can see that on my fast trak account activities page that it read my license plate but not the transponder. But I am not charged the "toll by plate" rate.. just the normal fast trak rate. Do you have an Express account before you have the fast trak? If so, you probably need to remove your license plate # from the Express account. I think the Orange County toll road first match your plate against the Express account before going to out to other CA fast trak agency to match against their database.

No I don't have an Express account, I just use Toll Roads. What's worse is I called the Toll Roads and they will not admit fault to either their transponder or toll booth reader, so they will not adjust my charges. So frustrating....

No I don't have an Express account, I just use Toll Roads. What's worse is I called the Toll Roads and they will not admit fault to either their transponder or toll booth reader, so they will not adjust my charges. So frustrating....

So basically they are claiming that you drove on the toll road and did not have the transponder in your car?? That sucks. See, I had an OC Express account before and was tolled by plate. But then I signed up with the free fast trak account on The 91 Express Lane. I then removed my plate from the Express account. So if TheTollRoad wants to charge me, they have to mail me a toll violation because I don't have a credit card on file with them!

I really think those toll booths are broken. I drove on the 91 everyday and on the 241 and 261 on the weekends. The 91 registered my transponder every time never missed. The 261 seems to be good too but the 241 is like on a 30% bad rate. I think the north bound left booth is always broken.... I don't hear the beep.

I don't drive those toll roads, but in the 110 HOV lanes, my transponder reads even in the center console with the lid closed. My transponder is a couple of years old. It's a vast improvement over my S, where reading is hit or miss when mounted on the dashboard. Only reliable spot in the S is on the rear hatch glass. I'd rather not have the ugly velcro tape and transponder visible.