Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is trade in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing as Tesla does not want used Tesla's traded in, wholesale pricing is all they offer. It would be a benefit to current owners of Teslas wanting to move to a new one if Tesla could offer a website to help buyers that have placed a deposit sell their current Tesla.
Tesla would assume no liability. This site would only bring sellers and buyers together. This might influence some buyers to purchase a new Tesla, because they could get more for their current Tesla. This site would also help to advance Tesla's mission to move people to electric by making it easier for someone who can't afford a new Tesla to get a used one from a private party at a good price. The used buyer would not be subject to car dealers as well. A big benefit for those buying a new Tesla.
I live in Arizona and private party to private party sales of used vehicles are not subject to state sales tax. This would benefit the used car buyer. The new car buyer would not get the sales tax reduction from trading in a car, but the higher price received for the used car should more than offset this.
Elon??????
Do you mean something like an owner’s forum with a marketplace section where owners can list their cars for sale?:)

Curious, but similar to buying homes, do people just sell the car to Tesla immediately pre-delivery and just live with 1 car (if possible) or a rental? Or just sell to some other company immediately?

Values do change daily.

It's clear Tesla just doesn't want your trade so outside of states which has lowered sales tax, it sounds like it's just a waste of time to try to trade in on day of pick up and a nasty surprise if that's not the same day you got the quote. Could you pre-sale the car to Tesla before your new Tesla is ready?

I did the same with the EV6. The soft quote on the EV6 was 45to 49K. The actual offer came in yesterday at 39.2. This seems almost like a bait and switch to get you to pay the 250 order fee. I think I am going to cancel as I am quite happy with the EV6.
Thanks for posting and sorry this happened to you. Yeah, they keep saying to order and it will come in on the high range…I’m almost certain it will be very similar to your offer.

I don’t care what anyone says, this process is worse than going to a dealership because you’re out $250 and they change the trade in value without reason.

Received Tesla trade-in offer (2018 Toyota Prius Prime Premium trim 38,425 miles) this morning. Not bad. Higher than Carvanna and Carmax but below Toyota. Based on reviews of threads I thought they would ask for pictures? Is this normal or the consequence of being overloaded with demand? Is there an ability to negotiate for a higher offer? Given trade-in (Washington state) would lower final tax amount and be on par with Toyota. Toyota dealer willing to boost their offer high enough to reject Tesla offer. So will Tesla negotiate the trade-in offer?

experiencing Tesla trade in now. Initial offer was $24k then dropped to $19k then $17.5k now that I have a pickup range.

Going to sell to Clutch or CanadaDrives as they offered $27k. Just look around. Trade ins are convenient but not a good deal.

Hey all. I actually just joined and did so specifically because this was info I was looking for.

I got an estimate of 28600-31600. That’s about the range of other places. Carmax was as high as $32600 but other places were as low as $29200. So I figured that was in range. I hate not knowing every step of the way hope things play out so I called to try to get a feel for how often they deviate from the estimate. He said not often unless something comes back that I lied about. I even offered to bring it in for an inspection to try to get the actual value. But, Knowing that I was truthful I agreed to pay the deposit on a used vehicle with a $1000 transport fee. So $1500 deposit.

I never did get the offer after a few days so I called and we finally got it. Yeah. They were at $26500. That’s $3-6k lower than the range. And I was accurate on everything. Car is pristine shape. 2019 Q50 with 16500 miles on it.

When I asked guy what was up he was like. Yeah we told you it wasn’t guaranteed and could change. Market conditions change daily. I’m like change from 2 days ago? I was so livid. IMO that’s deceptive practices. How can you give people high estimates and then tell them you won’t actually give them a value until they pay you money. Then lowball them once you know you can keep their money either way? Then to top it off when I talked to the guy about how it can make a $120 a month increase in payment and he said “it’s not really my problem, we told you it was just an estimate”.

Anyhow. Dealing with them has been a nightmare.

Lol. I just ordered a vehicle that was in existing inventory.

Submitted trade in range this morning ($42K-$45K).

1 hour later I get the official offer of $37K. It’s a brand new 2022 electric vehicle…so my description/mileage wasn’t off.

And now they tell me the vehicle isn’t there and won’t arrive until end of February or early March. It said it was available at my delivery center (not coming soon, but available).

Very frustrating and deceptive.

Last edited:
Lol. I just ordered a vehicle that was in existing inventory.

Submitted trade in range this morning ($42K-$45K).

1 hour later I get the official offer of $37K. It’s a brand new 2022 electric vehicle…so my description/mileage wasn’t off.

And now they tell me the vehicle isn’t there and won’t arrive until end of February or early March. It said it was available at my delivery center (not coming soon, but available).

Very frustrating and deceptive.
I agree. Honestly I am blown away at how bad it is dealing with Tesla. I can not believe nobody has sued them over deceptive practices yet.

I truly believe Tesla’s “trade-in” evaluation is a bait and switch.

Prior to ordering, I did a Tesla trade in eval. Offer was $44-$49k. Price range looked good, car is in excellent condition, maybe I’ll get somewhere in the middle, worst case I’ll take $44k. I place the order, pay the $250 fee.

Over the last 4 weeks I have continuously re-checked Tesla’s trade in value, and each time, the same ball park figures.

The other morning, I woke up, checked the value, and the same numbers. Later that afternoon I get a text from Tesla telling me my offer is ready…it’s $38k. $6k LESS than what they have been telling me. I responded with the info I have stated above and requested my $250 back, as I would not have placed an order with a $38k offer.

I re-checked the trade value on their site moments after their $38k offer, and have checked every day since…and it still shows $44-$49k. They clearly know they won’t pay over $38k for my car yet they still advertise they will, and refuse to give me back my $250.

This in my mind is classic bait and switch and exceptionally misleading at best.

I can’t believe they have not had legal consequences over this.